What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When is it necessary to remove and clean oil tank on RV12?

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Since owning my RV 12 the last two years I have only used unleaded fuel and therefore changed the oil as recommended every 50 hours. I use Aeroshell Sport oil.

Just completed first x-country of about 20 hours using 100LL . I used Decalin additive with every fuel load in the amount recommended.

I’m planning on changing oil and filter now. Under this scenario do I need to clean oil tank?

Based on my experience I suspect that you will find some very small amount of gray lead slime / sludge in the bottom of your oil tank -- nothing to obsess over however. Cleaning out the oil tank on an RV-12 is not a big deal as there is typically no need to purge the oil system after the tank has been cleaned -- just remove the top oil line connections, remove the top of the oil tank and innards, and inspect/clean the tank in situ. Since this is apparently your first prolonged use of 100LL it might prove a good learning experience to inspect the tank and see for yourself the extent of sludge build-up.

Back