What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power parent company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsquared

Well Known Member
Starting to think about powering my panel. I am looking at Vertical Power but the corporation they are owned by stock had dropped 80% in the last year (mostly before Covid) and they recently announced some restructuring. Should I be worried about continued support of the product?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes is the answer that nobody wants to give. However, it's true for any vendor on an airplane that should be around 25+ years from now.

Really, anything you choose has this same risk. I didn't look at Garmin's stock performance before choosing their avionics.

By its reputation around town so to speak, VP sounds like a solid solution.

I didn't install VP but if I was back at that same decision point I would likely do it after talking at length with folks at fly-ins about their RVs.

Good answer...

Good answer...

I wonder how the Mooney guys felt after buying a new one and the company folding up...

My view is that you need a really good reason to install VP, not just that it seems a neat piece of equipment or that a few others have one, but solid reasons where it gives you added useful functionality or saves $$ or both.

Although, if you are really concerned about the financial stability of vendors you wouldn't be in the experimental aviation game. There are many companies that produce neat stuff and then disappear. That even applies to 10 year old certified aircraft - you then get to buy the $5K SB that replaces the obsolete stuff with something different. At least with an experimental you get to choose the upgrade path...
Pete

Same Crossroad

I am at the same crossroad in making a decision about VP... I was all for it, even looking at the costs which are pretty much a wash when added all up, but then the curveball. I just bought the Garmin suite and when talking to my avionics dealer (remain unnamed), I asked about his thoughts on Vertical Power. He said it was a solid piece of equipment, but there was virtually no support anymore. He recommended against it for the same reason.

I was going to wait and meet them at Sun n Fun...but we all know that outcome!

Anyway...still trying to decide!

I have been flying behind my Vertical Power ?VP100? for 10 years now.

When the business was sold I was orphaned like many others with the earlier product line. It wasn?t a good feeling and one where I dread the fatal failure and having to rewire to C/B?s.

A few years ago there was a gentleman with the same concerns you have and he offered me a deal to buy his VP100 that he didn?t install. I was able to buy it for a very fair price.

I recommend you consider buying a a spare unit if you decide to go in that direction.

If I had to do it over again I think I would just go with C/B?s. But I do love the unit and the features.

My super uneducated opinion is that the Vertical Power products are popular enough that I dunno about them ending up on the chopping block, unless Astronics really wanted to put an end to this product category entirely. Otherwise, it seems to me that some entrepreneur would be interested in purchasing the product line or rights thereto if Astronics was looking to divest itself of VP.

Starting to think about powering my panel. I am looking at Vertical Power but the corporation they are owned by stock had dropped 80% in the last year (mostly before Covid) and they recently announced some restructuring. Should I be worried about continued support of the product?

If you are concerned about the company, read through the company's 10-k. https://investors.astronics.com/sec...0000008063-20-000013/0000008063-20-000013.pdf
Lots of info there. Read the section on risk factors. Boeing and Panasonic are large, important customers. The Boeing woes probably started the stock decline and COVID (and the aviation/airline collapse) was the second punch. Astronics has tangible assets totaling over $500M. They purchased vertical Power in 2013 as I recall. Probably a good complement and test bed for some of their citified power systems. These guys aren't going anywhere soon, but COVID is going to test many balance sheets - especially any company tied to the airline industry.

I have one...

I have a VPX-pro in my RV-10.

I love the fact that I can bring on screen all of the circuits, see what the current draw is on each as well as the over all draw, and turn anything on/off with a touch of the G3X. I use that all of the time when powering the ship for maintenance. I love the ability to group functions to individual switches for example to turn all exterior or interior lights on/off with a single switch, or group avionics into groups of critical or secondary for quick on/off. I also like the idea of electronic circuit breakers. It does make the power distribution easier in my opinion. :D

Cost can be a wash depending on the comparison. It's hard to beat blade fuses for cost. But then we didn't get into this hobby to try to beat down to the lowest common denominator. If there ever comes a time when I have to pull the VPX out and replace with fuses, it will be a pain, but is doable in the location I have it installed. :confused:

What I would do differently is run my trim through the G3X instead of the VPX. The trim scheduling in the G3X is better with a gradual change instead of a step function at speed, and is accessible for programing right from the PFD. The VPX takes an ether net connection and separate PC to change. :(

Good luck, YMMV

I have the VPX Pro and I'd do it again. I do wish they would upgrade it with a wifi chip so you didn't have to plug a network cable in to change the config, but then again it's been tried and true. I've never had an issue with it. Wish I could say that with my Dynon suite

The tech junkie and his VPX:

(1) Claims you can't know how good it is until you try it.

(2) Choice to use is mostly supported by other users.

(3) Believes it enhances ability to function.

(4) Once installed, can't function without it.

(5) Dealer says everything is fine.

(6) Treatment can remove user from circulation for quite some time.

VPX

I have always liked Tech stuff. Love all the things the VPX can do, especially the monitoring. Fully support builders that want to build their plane their way and appreciate folks pushing the known envelope. Would not install a VPX in MY build. For me, it overly complicates a simple airplane and if the box has to come out any cost/time savings from the initial build are lost. Hoping for the best for the future of the existing units.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Good answer...

I wonder how the Mooney guys felt after buying a new one and the company folding up...

I don't know about buying a new one, but I bought an older 201 last year to tide me over until I finish the RV-10. I feel fine about the decision because there is a lot of community support, the airplane has been around for a long time, and there are third party vendors for many critical wear parts.

If I had bought a brand new one, and was relying on factory maintenance support, maybe it'd be different. I think the comparison to Mooney isn't a great one, because the VP units are pretty much opaque to the end user, whereas an airplane can usually be maintained.

Even if Mooney goes permanently under, I would bet that someone somewhere will end up buying the M20 type certificate and start producing parts, as has happened with some other types. Not sure how many units VP has shipped over the years.

Dan, I respect your opinion and like that you are there to present the other side, but a Tech Junkie, I am not;

The tech junkie and his VPX:

(1) Claims you can't know how good it is until you try it.
The feature list is there for all to see. It does everything it is advertised to do, nothing more, nothing less.

(2) Choice to use is mostly supported by other users.
Who else would support it's use? Those who don't use it?

(3) Believes it enhances ability to function.
Just an alternative with some 'nice to have functions.' Nobody is saying breakers or blade fuses won't accomplish the same things, albeit without some of the 'features'.

(4) Once installed, can't function without it.
Never saw that claim. I could function just fine without it, again without the 'features' that I happen to like.

(5) Dealer says everything is fine.
It is now. Only time will tell. If I ever have to pull it out, it will be a pain, I agree.

(6) Treatment can remove user from circulation for quite some time.
I'm not clear on where this one is going or what it has to do with being/not being a 'Tech Junkie'. Perhaps I am a little slow this morning, but you will need to 'splain it to me. ;)

Just sayin'.....

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I like the clean aesthetic of my panel without the field of breakers.

To each his own, said the farmer as he kissed the cow. :D

Last edited:
To VP or Not To VP?

This question is pretty much like the Primer Wars...
There will be those who "love" their VP product, and those who think the "old way" is still the best way.

Without a customer base willing to test the newer technology, thus proving/disproving its viability, our modern world would never have come to be.

For those poo-poohing the VP line, I wonder how many are really appreciating the fact they are using computers to communicate instead of relying on the old pen-and-ink method with the USPS delivery all those hundreds/thousands of letters to the interested masses?

As for customer support - though I've rarely needed it, when I did they were simply an email away; and very good at getting the support I needed quickly. My VP-X Pros has operated flawlessly for about 300 hours now. Its the wires, pins, etc. I need when I get the urge to change or add a circuit.

To each their own - good luck to all. But I would do the VP thing again, and again, and again...

the problem is the same as any tech equipment. its not a matter if it reaches EOL, but when. not just the entire unit, but components of the unit. at some point the parts they chose to use will be EOL. then, even the best company cannot support their product.

garmin is moving toward that with the 430 and 530 series. I know a lot of people don't believe that, but parts are becoming an issue with them.

so when that happens and your 430 dies, you say, ok i either find a serviceable used unit or have a new GPS installed.

now, the problem with VP, is that when that does happen, you are looking at a total rewire of the plane to get back in business. having a spare unit on the shelf is some insurance, but what if that unit has a part go bad soon after you put your last hope in.

that is the question you have to answer before installing one, am I willing to take that chance that it will be a long time before it gets to that point.

I like the concept of the VP and it looks like a nice system at first glance, but I was just not willing to take that chance.

now, i produce embedded controllers for a niche industry, and Im in the 4th redesign of one of my products since 2003 now due to parts EOL, so my view is a bit jaded.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I've flown with the VP's quite a bit. It is a neat system, most of the time. At other times, its a PITA. Quick shutdown and restart, for example. Too often products in our business get obsoleted and in that regard, old school wins. Its one thing if its a radio, its another if it involves rewiring your airplane.

Hi all,

I was just alerted to this thread...Astronics did have some restructuring occur last week, but the Vertical Power product line and myself were not affected, thankfully.

Give me a call if you have any questions or concerns during these strange times...it has certainly affected a lot of people, and in my case, I am busier than ever with people being at home and working on airplanes more now than I've seen before.

Excellent products

Hi all,

I was just alerted to this thread...Astronics did have some restructuring occur last week, but the Vertical Power product line and myself were not affected, thankfully.

Give me a call if you have any questions or concerns during these strange times...it has certainly affected a lot of people, and in my case, I am busier than ever with people being at home and working on airplanes more now than I've seen before.

I have installed 5 VP-X pro units, RV-7-14 and 10 and now a Subsonex Jet 24v. they work as suggested and the service is awsome. Any time i make a mistake, Chad was there to answer mi questions and always alwas was my fault jejeje. Dont doubt Vertical Power is teh best equipment for these job.

Thanx Chad !!

I installed a VPX-Pro in my plane, 5 years ago. Due to a change in wingtip lights I had to run a new power wire. I think this is much easier than adding a new circuit breaker and drilling a new hole in the panel, or whatever one that uses old breakers would have to do. Unfortunately, due to its location, I was unable to see how the main power connector was retained in the VPX box. I tried pushing on the tab, pulling on the tab and inserting a screw driver to no avail. Not wanting to break it or waste another day what was I to do??
I called Astronics Ballard, the manufacturer, and asked for Chad. Had to leave a message and he called me back in 10 minutes. Explained my predicament and he instructed me on how to remove the power connector, which I did while he was on the line. The rest of the job was EZ. Access to good technical knowledge can be very beneficial, and appreciated.

Hi all,

Good to hear Chad.

Thanks John

I have been flying behind my Vertical Power ?VP100? for 10 years now.

A few years ago there was a gentleman with the same concerns you have and he offered me a deal to buy his VP100 that he didn?t install. I was able to buy it for a very fair price.

I recommend you consider buying a a spare unit if you decide to go in that direction.
My plane was still in construction, you were flying, and more locked-in to the VP-100 than was I. Knowing that I still had flexibility to modify my installation and switching to the VP-X Sport version made sense. (The modification was more involved than I would have expected, mainly in labels and pin numbers.)
In the end, the VP-X has been good to me, and I would do it again. Glad to hear that the VP-100 unit has been only needed as a Plan B, so far. Appreciate the character reference.

The VP-X integration with the Dynon SkyView EMS and additional circuit information, protection and status makes it more valuable than a CB or fuse configuration. Would do it again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back