What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Rudder Trim

dweyant

Well Known Member
I just completed the condition inspection on my RV-9A.

I usually do an improvement project or two as part of the condition inspection, and this year, since I finally got the plane painted I wanted to add a rudder trim (rather than the trim tab I forgot to get painted).

I ordered the Aerosport Products trim tab. One of my neighbors, had just installed one on his RV-10 and loved it.

After I didn't receive it for a week or so I called Aerosport power to check on the status. They said, the were in the process of redesigning the unit and using a 3D printer rather than machining the assembly, and asked if I would be willing to try out the new version.

I have some experience with 3D printers, and I was a bit skeptical of the strength of the printed parts, but I figured why not, lets give it a try.

I have to say I'm impressed with the strength and quality of the parts. They are printed using a nylon process, and while I didn't attempt to break the anything, they have a significantly stronger feel than the ABS printed parts I have done.

The install was a bit of a pain (mostly the crawling under the panel of my RV-9A), but straightforward enough and didn't take very long.

Overall, I'm quite please with the update, and continue to be amazed by what the 3D printing technology is doing.

-Dan

After I didn't receive it for a week or so I called Aerosport power to check on the status. They said, the were in the process of redesigning the unit and using a 3D printer rather than machining the assembly, and asked if I would be willing to try out the new version.

I have one of the machined versions and have not yet installed it on my 7. Will you please post pictures so we can 1) see new version of system 2) installation of new system. Besides materials I'm curious to know more of this redesign.

Here are some pictures of the new Aerosport Products Rudder Trim System. The system works just like the old system and mounts in the same holes. We feel after testing they will be a much better unit with a lot less parts. We redesigned this unit to be 3D printed on Our HP printer. We went from 27 parts to 7 not including hardware. They are also about half the weight as the old ones. We are still doing some Beta testing but we will start shipping these soon.

The cost will be
$195.00 plus shipping. Call us to purchase one.
http://www.aerosportproducts.com
image-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

Any updates on the new version?

Here are some pictures of the new Aerosport Products Rudder Trim System. The system works just like the old system and mounts in the same holes. We feel after testing they will be a much better unit with a lot less parts. We redesigned this unit to be 3D printed on Our HP printer. We went from 27 parts to 7 not including hardware. They are also about half the weight as the old ones. We are still doing some Beta testing but we will start shipping these soon.

The cost will be
$195.00 plus shipping. Call us to purchase one.
http://www.aerosportproducts.com
image-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

Just curious if the beta test is complete? I?m wanting to order one.

Control approach pedals

It would seem that it could work with the CA pedals if Aerosport could adjust the tube diameter on the arms...

I installed one of the 3D printed rudder trim systems in my RV-7A early in my flight testing last fall. The installation was straight forward, although a little hard on my old back. The system works great. With the wide range of speeds these aircraft are capable of, the rudder trim keeps the plane flying straight. It also helps with the autopilot. Aerosport Products have made an excellent product.

Plastic?

I installed one of the 3D printed rudder trim systems in my RV-7A early in my flight testing last fall. The installation was straight forward, although a little hard on my old back. The system works great. With the wide range of speeds these aircraft are capable of, the rudder trim keeps the plane flying straight. It also helps with the autopilot. Aerosport Products have made an excellent product.

Is it printed plastic? If so, I wonder what the service life will be?

Do the springs cause the rudder pedal pressure to increase much when full rudder travel might be needed for cross wind landings?

Do the springs cause the rudder pedal pressure to increase much when full rudder travel might be needed for cross wind landings?

You cannot feel the springs on the rudder. The good thing is they will act as a low wind gust lock and help keep the rudder from slamming to one side from
Abrupt wind.
Geoff

Back