Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:47 PM

Default Pepto Pink Cowl

Vans Pepto Pink Cowl 1: Wirejock 0
Some days you get the bear. Some days you get mauled to death by the Vans Pepto Pink Cowl
Clearly I messed up. I barely trimmed anything just to get the two seams straight.
Yes, I know the cowl is over the skin but even after trimming flush, that gap ain't closing.
My plan is to layup a scarf joint on each half seam, but not full thickness. That way the two halves can overlap. Then I cut and fit the cowl to the firewall properly and use a laser level to shoot the side seam cut line. Yes, the bird is level both long and lat. Then finish adding glass to the strip to full thickness.

Anyone have a better solution please let me know. Chime in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211013_152410.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	17059
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:57 PM

Yep - you have to creep up when trimming.

After you add glass on the sides, I recommend stopping and installing the prop with spinner back plate before proceeding (as in doing any further trimming). It is hard enough to get the cowl to spinner gap and cowl height right with the real spinner in place, mounted on the prop hub. I would not attempt doing this with a template.

I do use an old Hartzell prop hub for this instead of the actual prop. I do however make sure old hub is a dimensionally exact match to new Hartzell BA prop.

Carl
Old 10-13-2021, 06:02 PM

Larry- I know it looks like a massive gap, but referencing that silver cleco for scale, I'm guessing it's probably around an inch, right? I can't help thinking that once the cowl halves aren't being all spread out by the fwd skins it will come together a significant amount, if not all the way.

Remember, it's not just the skin thickness they're riding on right now, its the raduisses (radii?) The big curves on the top skin will eat up a lot of distance.

Is it possible to grab a helper or two and slide the cowl halves fwd until they're butting up against the firewall flange to get an idea of how much they will actually come together? I'm betting it will be more than you think. Either way, you'll have more of an idea of what you're looking at to fix it.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 PM

PM sent with my ph#
if you would like to talk through trimming the pink beast.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Default Ideas

Thanks. Keep the tips coming.
It's totally my fault. I should have put them on before trimming.
Ralph, thanks so much. Give me a few days to recover from my Pepto Pink binge and I will call.
Carl, thanks. I wish I had the prop. Saving for it. Whirlwind. They really like that thing! Pricey. I'm using a jig and their drawings. Fingers crissed but no doubtt I will get mauled by that bear too!
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Fitting the Cowling

Yep, lots of opportunity to mess up when fitting the cowling halves. Fitting the prop spinner and backing plates to get the correct spacing and height for the top cowling is really important. I found the Vans instruction sequence to be very helpful to figure out which parts to trim and fit in the correct order to get it all to match and have it looking nice around the inlets. Before scarfing and adding glass I would get one half (probably the top) to fit at the firewall and get the gap between the backing plate and the top cowling correct and the height of the top cowling at the spinner blocked up and correct and then trim the bottom cowling to the firewall to line up fore and aft at the front around the air inlets and make the air inlets match and fit. Then the sides are trimmed to match and provide a straight clean join. Looking at the way yours fits you might find that there is enough meat left that you have dont have to add glass to get a good fit. I think it took me about 3 weeks of solid work to get it right and not overshoot. Most of the time seemed to be spent putting the cowlings on and taking them off.

KT
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM

I am with the other guys - - 1. make dang sure the fore/aft is correct for your prop/spinner/cowl clearance. 2. cut and creep up on the aft cut to fit the firewall - a big task to get it all flat and gaps even. 3. secure the cowl around the firewall then see how the split line turns out.

Lots of things to do before you come to a conclusion on the split line. Oh - - I was fitting my james and only 1/8" was removed for the split, but the split was not parallel to the longeron. It was at an angle and hit the firewall 1" high. Silly assumption. I had to de-rivet and re-make all the sky bolt mounts down both sides to get the locations right - - I also was spacing the SB's and discovered the sides of the cowl are not the same length due to engine thrust angle. Like a Michael Angelo statue.

Stuff happens and none of it is the end of the world. Its just work and sometimes it's a lot, but wade through. Nice words, but I got really excited about a few things too I spent more time wringing my hands over an issue(s) than diving in and fixing it.

I got a good tip from Will James for making the cowl spinner gap even, When all finished, take a piece of glass and slide it in the gap, install three screws in the cowl face to touch the glass. Then butter up the cowl face and press the glass to touch the screws. It makes the gap plane nice and even.

RV-7

Last edited by BillL : 10-14-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:25 PM

Default Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
<snip>
I got a good tip from Will James for making the cowl spinner gap even, When all finished, take a piece of glass and slide it int eh gap, install three screws in the cowl face to touch the glass. Then butter up the cowl face and press the glass to touch the screws. It makes the gap plane nice and even.
That's a pretty cool tip.
Disclaimer
Old 10-14-2021, 08:34 AM

Make sure the slot for your nose wheel is long enough and not keeping the bottom cowl from coming up to meet the bottom of the fuselage.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Nose gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tierney View Post
Make sure the slot for your nose wheel is long enough and not keeping the bottom cowl from coming up to meet the bottom of the fuselage.
Yep. I did that first. Cut that slot too big too! I'll fix that last.
Disclaimer