What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speed to Prime After Etch?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
2nd priming post in two days...two guesses what I've been up to lately!

I'm curious, how quickly after etching do you need to lay down primer? Is it hours, days, weeks, etc? The reason I ask is because I'd sure love to scuff before dimpling. Those dimples are rough on the fingers and Scotch-Brite pads! Does scuffing and then waiting a few days until priming cause any realistic issues?

Is it Stewart's System???
In that case, as per their instructions it's maximum 6 hours between etching and priming.

Primer

Time is dependent on formation of Aluminum Oxide. Most recommend no more than 2 hours after removal. There's other ways to skin this cat.
I too did not like scuffing after dimpling. Here's how I did it.
Scuff. Just knock off the shine. No need to work too hard.
Dimple.
Day of priming...Wash with gray scotchbrite and Bon Ami. This is the step to remove the aluminum oxide. It's very thin. Only a few micron. Scrub to a water break free surface. Basically like washing pots and pans. Rinse well. Dry quicky. I wipe with clean blue shop towels.
Spray primer.

Time is dependent on formation of Aluminum Oxide. Most recommend no more than 2 hours after removal. There's other ways to skin this cat.
I too did not like scuffing after dimpling. Here's how I did it.
Scuff. Just knock off the shine. No need to work too hard.
Dimple.
Day of priming...Wash with gray scotchbrite and Bon Ami. This is the step to remove the aluminum oxide. It's very thin. Only a few micron. Scrub to a water break free surface. Basically like washing pots and pans. Rinse well. Dry quicky. I wipe with clean blue shop towels.
Spray primer.

Thanks. That sounds a little more tolerable than the finger grater of dimples! I did find info from Stewart Systems in their Ekoetch documentation that says to try to prime within 12 hours of etching. That seems lengthy to me though, so I'll give your method a shot to shorten that window.

Back