Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2021, 07:11 AM

Default Continental IO-360-J in RV7

Anybody ever managed to get a Continental IO-360-J into an RV7? It’s the six cylinder, 210hp engine from the Reims Rocket C172. Who wouldn’t want the sound of a six over four?!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 AM

I have seen an RV-6 fuselage with an RV-4 wing and a 6 cylinder Continental. That required a custom engine mount and, I'm sure, plenty of other custom work FWF. IIRC, the Continentals are heavy compared to the Lycomings, so that's something you'd need to take into consideration.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 08-29-2021, 07:37 AM

There is a 7 in South America flying with a Franklin in it.
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:22 AM

The IO-360ES is the lightest of the Continentals, according to some previous casual research, and probably the most expensive. Many years ago there was an RV-6A for sale on Barnstormers, I believe, with a Conti.

I'd love to hear one on an RV-8 (fewer landing gear hassles).

The question remains: does ya wanna fabricate or fly?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glovebox View Post
The question remains: does ya wanna fabricate or fly?
Well, that is a valid question. In all reality I will be sticking with the M1B, but I can’t help my imagination running wild!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:28 PM

When my imagination runs wild I se a Mazda Rotary. Not that I am ever going to do it.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:45 PM

Default Engine dreams

OK so I’m dreaming but I want a “liquid piston.” I know that won’t be available till long after I’m dead. Look it up. I fear it is like most of the other dream engines of the past but we can all dream can’t we. Maybe some day someone will do it and just maybe these guys are doing it.t
Old 09-09-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr3 View Post
Anybody ever managed to get a Continental IO-360-J into an RV7? It’s the six cylinder, 210hp engine from the Reims Rocket C172. Who wouldn’t want the sound of a six over four?!
I personally have not heard of it but if you have the will, time, skill, time and money yes you can stuff a Continental IO360 6 cylinder into a RV. Now for my lecture. WHY? It will not fly better, cost you more in money and definitely time. You will have to fabricate an engine mount and make or highly modify the cowl... Drop in? I doubt it. When you sell the plane it will likely be worth less than a Lyc powered RV. You know an IO390 Lyc is 210 HP.

In the 40 years RV's have been flying people have stuffed all kind of engines not Lycoming and 4 cylinders into RV3/4/6/7/8's

Short incomplete list:
V6 Ford
Wankel Mazda
Subaru 4 and 6 cylinder
Rotec 9 cylinder Radial*
Lycoming IO540 6 Cylinder

*150 Hp solid crank experimental engine from Australia and a dubious reputation. One builder put it in RV8 with a round cowl for a military theme plane.

Except for the "Rockets" that stuff a Lyc 540 into their plane most of the alternatives fly slower, are heavier and again not as valuable in used market. May be most important I would say they are also less reliable. So who wouldn't want that? I wouldn't. A Lyc sounds great. I have over 600 hours flying checks in a Seneca II with two TIO360 Continentals. The sound is not better. I will say the Continental would be smoother inherently. However a well built Lyc with balanced Prop and LORD engine mounts is plenty smooth.

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 09-09-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
OK so I’m dreaming but I want a “liquid piston.” I know that won’t be available till long after I’m dead. Look it up. I fear it is like most of the other dream engines of the past but we can all dream can’t we. Maybe some day someone will do it and just maybe these guys are doing it.t
What is a liquid piston?

You mean liquid cooling? There is a company that makes liquid cooled cylinders and heads for Lycoming's. Where you going to put the radiator???

https://www.ac-aero.com/gladiator-centurion/

2021 Dues Paid
Old 09-09-2021, 08:38 PM

Default Liquid piston

I meant to say google “liquid piston.” Similar to a Wankel but very interesting twist that you really need to look at to picture what they are doing. The one they have in a go cart is air cooled but can they make one with 200 hp air cooled. Heck can they even scale it up that much. Their web site looks like they have some small ones running or they are REALLY GOOD with photoshop.