- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:31 PM

Larry,

The A models need a longer slot than you think. The bottom cowl needs to drop down to clear the prop and front baffle ramps before you can move the bottom cowl forward.
Don't fix that slot until after you have your baffles done. It could be covered by your nose gear-to-bottom cowl fairing, which you can buy or make.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:19 PM

Default Bottom cowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tierney View Post
Larry,

The A models need a longer slot than you think. The bottom cowl needs to drop down to clear the prop and front baffle ramps before you can move the bottom cowl forward.
Don't fix that slot until after you have your baffles done. It could be covered by your nose gear-to-bottom cowl fairing, which you can buy or make.
Thanks. I see some stuff on the drawing. Looks like some sort of removable panel to help clear the nose gear.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:59 PM

Larry you will get this fixed man. Also a +1 for what Carl said. Without the prop on or something insanely accurate like an actual hub you are playing with fire. Too large of a gap is ugly among other things and too small will seriously make it a pain in the a$$ to get the bottom cowl off! Mine is 3/16" approximately and even then the bottom cowl is a pain sometimes.
Exempt but gladly paying!

Last edited by jcarne : 10-14-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Thanks. I see some stuff on the drawing. Looks like some sort of removable panel to help clear the nose gear.
Not sure if you are going with a 3 or 2 blade prop but if you go with a 2 blade you will find that only the rear plate/bracket has to be removed to get the cowl off. At least that is my experience.

Last edited by jcarne : 10-14-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:53 PM

Default Prop hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Larry you will get this fixed man. Also a +1 for what Carl said. Without the prop on or something insanely accurate like an actual hub you are playing with fire. Too large of a gap is ugly among other things and too small will seriously make it a pain in the a$$ to get the bottom cowl off! Mine is 3/16" approximately and even then the bottom cowl is a pain sometimes.
Sorry. No choice. Money isn't there yet for my Whirlwind 300RV.
I have to try or add time to the end when I really want to be flyjng.
I do have an incredibly accurate cowl jig with a hub duplicate and using Whirlwind CAD drawing. I'm shooting for a bit more space because it's a three blade. If I mess up, it won't be the first, or last time.
Fingers Crossed.
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Sorry. No choice. Money isn't there yet for my Whirlwind 300RV.
I have to try or add time to the end when I really want to be flyjng.
I do have an incredibly accurate cowl jig with a hub duplicate and using Whirlwind CAD drawing. I'm shooting for a bit more space because it's a three blade. If I mess up, it won't be the first, or last time.
Fingers Crossed.
You are a pretty meticulous guy Larry so I have faith in you. Just make sure to triple check haha. Feel free to send me an email if you have questions. Or give me a call, I think you still have my number. I know the feeling quite well at that stage of the build. I just wanted to start flying! lol

P.S. Once the cowl and baffles are done it's all pretty easy from there.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:27 AM

Larry,

That gap will close a lot more than you think once it's trimmed to the firewall. The cowl is not only sitting on the top and bottom of the firewall but also being spread out on the sides. I wouldn't add the scarf joint until you know what you need. At that point you may find it better to only add to either the top or the bottom (if you need to add at all). I would follow the plans and build on! Trim the top cowl, then the bottom, and then decide what needs to be done with the sides. You are good at fiberglass, so you will getting looking good.

A word of caution about the top cowl: As the cowling settles down into place, the sides will get much shorter. Start at the top center and trim a little at a time as you work toward the sides. If you cut to the trim line all at once, you may find that the sides are coming up short of the firewall once it fully sits down into place.

.....and get that prop ordered! Your bird needs to fly!!
RV-10 Under Construction
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM

Hi Larry, I cut my top too close to the prop and if I trim the back my gap on the lower back will be more so probably have to do some fiber glassing. Have both off if you want to take them up and see what they look on yours let me know.
My lower cowl has the nose on for the carb but should fit on yours, they have the hinge's on.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I am with the other guys - - 1. make dang sure the fore/aft is correct for your prop/spinner/cowl clearance.
This is easier said than done, too! When I was trimming my cowl, I thought it would be foolproof to cut a 1/4" piece of plywood as a spacer and keep it behind the spinner at all times, to ensure an even 1/4" gap. Every trim I did was with the front of the cowl flush with the aft of that 1/4" plywood. Sure enough, when I took the wood spacer away and re-installed the spinner and prop, the gap was 3/16" on one side and 5/16" on the other side . Not sure if I'm just going to live with it, but I can confirm the cowl trimming is a difficult job.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for engine-start and airworthiness!
Old 10-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Default Cowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRV7 View Post
Hi Larry, I cut my top too close to the prop and if I trim the back my gap on the lower back will be more so probably have to do some fiber glassing. Have both off if you want to take them up and see what they look on yours let me know.
My lower cowl has the nose on for the carb but should fit on yours, they have the hinge's on.
Thanks but no need. It's fixed. Fiberglass is easily repaired.
I expect a little error when the prop and spinner are mounted. Previous posting about using some Micro and a piece of glass will easily fix that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211015_093523.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	17092
Disclaimer