What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV horizontal stab crack reporting thread

Agree

Just like every other RV-9, -10, and -14 ever made….no cracks.

Why list a plane with no known issues on a SB ? Caution is appreciated but zero dot zero is not caution, it’s paranoia.

I agree, but it seems simple enough to just do a look see and gather data. One missed plane is one too many.
Maybe the next revision will exclude the 9, 10 and 14s? Once the 15 is flying, there will probably need to be a rev to either specifically exclude or include it also.

Last edited:
This thread has become clown shoes. It’s never been statistically meaningful - the SB applies to the models listed because the designers believe that it should. That’s good enough, and an uncredentialed claim to the contrary is not persuasive.

I trust Vans on this - they’ve never given me reason to do otherwise.

I agree, but it seems simple enough to just do a look see and gather data. One missed plane is one too many.
Maybe the next revision will exclude the 9, 10 and 14s? Once the 15 is flying, there will probably need to be a rev to either specifically exclude or include it also.

On the RV-9 at least, checking the outboard rear hinge brackets is about a 30 second exercise with just a flashlight. It can be a simple part of the pre-flight.

2020 RV-7
100 hours
Shop heads on forward side
Operated almost always on hard surfaces
No aerobatics
Whirlwind 200RV constant speed prop, balanced

No cracks

Yeah a thread of 4500 posts saying 'nothing found' and 40 posts with finds... isn't digestible.

Well, one with 4500 posts would at least be statistically significant. But ~260 posts isn't statistically significant on a fleet of 11000 airplanes, especially when the data set isn't controlled in any way.

Well, one with 4500 posts would at least be statistically significant. But ~260 posts isn't statistically significant on a fleet of 11000 airplanes, especially when the data set isn't controlled in any way.

Actually, 260 responses is (just barely) statistically significant at the 90% confidence level and 5% interval for a population of 11,000, IF it's a true random sample. But self-reported "statistics" are generally not very good.

RV4 1997 vintage, 1000 hrs. O360, Hartzell CS
Lots of acro and mostly off grass
No cracks! Built by Henry Gorgas, truly a craftsman.

Back