What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer-What are Canadian builders using for Primers?

Akzo Noble from ACS mostly. I’ve sprayed some small parts with self etch. No comparison for durability. The epoxy primer is magnitudes better in that regard.

Stewart Systems EkoPrime. Water based so it's very easy to clean up and as a result, I don't mind using it for small batches of parts. Durability seems good, especially on interior parts. Only thing I'd recommend is to go a dark color so you can see it when sprayed. I used Smoke Grey which looks too similar to unprimed aluminum and so is difficult to evaluate coverage.

Sherwin Williams P60G2 purchased at the local Sherwin Williams paint store. They had to order it in. Took about 2 days.

Pro-Form Primer from the local Napa/Auto Body supply shop.

I've been using primarily pro-form 1K self etch primer in rattle cans for matting surfaces. Using Pro-form 2K epoxy primer for high abuse areas. RandyAB is spot on for durability..the epoxy primer is way more durable but its heavy. So use wisely.

I did an extensive primer durability test before my build (in my build log). Learned lots.

Test primers with Av gas to check for suitability. No sense priming your wings if the first spill washes off your primer.

Back