What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adds/deletes from finish kit?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Getting ready to order my finish kit and want to throw it out to the group;

I'm planning to do the super tracks mod for the sliding canopy. I think I remember reading on here that people have deleted the C-762 canopy slide rail from the RV7 kit and replaced it with the longer one from the RV8, thus not have to add the rail extension that comes with the super tracks kit. Does that sound right?

If so, can anybody tell me what the part number is for the RV8 component?

I also recall that people have mentioned the ability to get a darker than standard canopy. Is that a thing?

Anything else I'm missing?

That what I did and it worked out nicely.
You'll need to adjust spacer curvature a little, but it was easy to do.

1-C 804 Canopy Slide Rail
1-C 805 Canopy Slide Spacer

Just a heads up and this might not matter to you but only that you are making an informed decision, looks like VANS has made significant changes to their policy to credit for deleted parts. In the past, it was about 10-15% discounted price from retail value of those parts but my recent deletion was in the neighborhood of 55-60% of the value which made it unreasonable for me to delete them and go with the alternative parts.

I would say that it has been a rather disappointing decision by VANS.

One thing I didn't add, but probably would have in hindsight is Beringer wheels and brakes. They are lighter and have a non existent bearing service interval in comparison. Also, consider the 380-150x5 tire if you are considering landing on anything other than paved runways.
Tailwheel delete is another option if you want to use one of the aftermarket versions that are lighter.
I did the two piece rail on the supertracks and it came out fine, but I can see how the RV-8 option would be nice if you were getting it in a shipment of other long pieces.
Stall warning kit is another delete if you are going to install an AOA instead.

Tom
RV-7

Parts

Don't delete parts. Sell them. Someone always seems to need.
I bought the SC-15 canopy. Tiny bit of tint but 80% UV protection.
Consider the color you want. I ordered all the weldment parts bare. Really made it less worrysome bending. Before everything was assembled, I had all the weldments and supertracks powder coated.
I fabricated a new track. Vans sells the bar and strip. The 8 track wasn't quite right. Part numbers should be on my blog.
Do not drill the attach holes in it or the top skin till the canopy is done and you're ready to set the final height. That gives you more adjustment.
Canopy is a whole other article. Oh yea, I wrote one! :D
Check my blog.

Thanks for the replies guys.

FYI- interestingly enough, the stock tail wheel came in the fuselage kit, so too late to delete that!

Back