What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling hole for step

D Weisgerber

Well Known Member
What's the best way to fill the step hole. I'm building an RV8 not an A, I didn't realize the skin would have the step hole in it.

Is it just a #40 hole that show you where to cut out for the step? If so, the plans call out to just dimple it and install a rivet to nowhere. At least that’s how it is on the 7

There is a fairing panel that installs over the opening so it will be covered on an -8. No need to manufacture a cover plate. The fairing gets installed after the wings are on.

Attachments

• FD11DD70-F93C-4761-B0BD-ED8C1129A6FB.jpeg
    FD11DD70-F93C-4761-B0BD-ED8C1129A6FB.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 403
Is it just a #40 hole that show you where to cut out for the step? If so, the plans call out to just dimple it and install a rivet to nowhere. At least that’s how it is on the 7

In the -1 RV8 kit, that skin comes with the huge hole already punched in it.

Install a step! A friend of mine bought a gorgeous RV-8 that has a step installed by the original builder. At first I thought it looked a little weird, but I must admit it sure is convenient for height challenged or aged individuals. I’ve given rides to many people that have found the transition from ground to wing a bit difficult and would welcome the step.

watch out for cracks!

Agree with Squaz, the step is a huge aid, but after only 170 hours on my 8, I've discovered a crack all along the backside of the tube just below the weldment where it exits the fuselage. Apparently this is a common problem.

I'm toying with the idea of either removing it permanently or repairing/replacing it and making it removable in case it ever cracks again. I've also read where at least one builder made his retractable but never saw how that was done.

J. Baker

Just a basic sheet metal patch. Fair it with some proseal.

Since this thread is about patching I dont think this hijacks it.

Scott, you said to use proseal to fair it out. Why proseal and not any of the epoxy or other products designed for fairing body work? I only used it on my tanks and that was enough! Maybe I have missed something good. Probably better for areas that flex? I didnt think it got hard enough for body work. Just curious

Since this thread is about patching I dont think this hijacks it.

Scott, you said to use proseal to fair it out. Why proseal and not any of the epoxy or other products designed for fairing body work? I only used it on my tanks and that was enough! Maybe I have missed something good. Probably better for areas that flex? I didnt think it got hard enough for body work. Just curious

Just my choice. It is my go-to for a wet seal of two pieces of aluminum. I have no such fear of the south end of a north bound skunk :).

I looked on Vans store and couldn't find the step kit, does anybody have the part number for it? I'm considering putting a step on.

I have searched for WD-832 and it doesn't come up in Vans store. I thought there might be a kit with a different part number.

I have searched for WD-832 and it doesn't come up in Vans store. I thought there might be a kit with a different part number.

I just plugged that into the "search" on the front door of the web store and it came right up with the part. $278 (add to cart).

Back