What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12/RV-12is viewing/demo?

Folks - been trying to get to Vans to check out the RV-12 as I am strongly considering building one but they've been shut down since Covid started. They suggested posting on here to see if anyone would be willing to show me their plane - happy to pay you for expenses or whatever.

I'm in the EWA/Northern ID/Western MT area...I'm good with anyone in those areas. Much appreciated - need to check this box before taking the plunge ordering kits/etc.

Thanks a lot!

Scott

That sounds so...responsible! :)

We started on our tail kit last fall. I've been around a lot of RVs over the years but never actually touched a 12. I figured we would roll the dice on the tail and eventually I would get some exposure to a finished airplane before moving on to the other kits. With COVID impacts and general life type stuff, any time I would spend seeking a closer look has gone to building. Building is too much fun, hard to decide to go look at other airplanes instead. Even with a few months break here and there we're done with tail and wings and moving right through the fuse kit. I just ordered the finish kit and the closest I have been to a -12 is maybe being in the same traffic pattern.

Order your tail kit, get the lead time clock ticking. Talk yourself out of it later!

Folks - been trying to get to Vans to check out the RV-12 as I am strongly considering building one but they've been shut down since Covid started. They suggested posting on here to see if anyone would be willing to show me their plane - happy to pay you for expenses or whatever.

I'm in the EWA/Northern ID/Western MT area...I'm good with anyone in those areas. Much appreciated - need to check this box before taking the plunge ordering kits/etc.

Thanks a lot!

Scott

I'm in Fall City WA (just East of Seattle). Happy to work out showing you mine. Send me a PM if that sounds like it will work for you to come here. If it were summer id fly to you (3 hours).

That sounds so...responsible! :)

We started on our tail kit last fall. I've been around a lot of RVs over the years but never actually touched a 12. I figured we would roll the dice on the tail and eventually I would get some exposure to a finished airplane before moving on to the other kits. With COVID impacts and general life type stuff, any time I would spend seeking a closer look has gone to building. Building is too much fun, hard to decide to go look at other airplanes instead. Even with a few months break here and there we're done with tail and wings and moving right through the fuse kit. I just ordered the finish kit and the closest I have been to a -12 is maybe being in the same traffic pattern.

Order your tail kit, get the lead time clock ticking. Talk yourself out of it later!

Yeah it does sound responsible...your comment is tempting...like that little devil on my shoulder. I may just do that anyway - I'm thinking the same thing...what else am I doing all winter waiting for the snow to melt right? It does look like a lot of fun to build...with a prize at the end. :D

I am in Richland WA That's in Southeastern WA. You are welcome to come take a look. We can fly if the weather allows.

Before I started my RV-3B project, I considered an RV-12 and arranged for a demo ride. Got to say that was one very sweet-handling airplane. I totally enjoyed flying it. It had better visibility down on the passenger side than I have from my Cessna 180.

The RV-12 is one of the nicest-flying airplanes I've ever flown, and I've flown a lot of different kinds.

Why then did I start the RV-3B? It is also supposed to have good handling characteristics, plus it's a taildragger, which I like. Since I do have the Cessna, I can accept a single-seater. And I wanted more of a project and the RV-3B is old-school there.

Dave

Back