What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My $17 mistake

Amazon-1

I am building an RV-14A. Over the weekend I made a mistake that will cost me $17. I have to buy a six foot length of piano hinge (again). I am pretty sure it is an error in the plans rather than my own screw-up.

I was wondering if there is a place on VAF for people to log suspected plans errors. If not, do you think it would be a good idea?

Does Van's track possible errors in the plans?

More info on my mistake:

The plans call for the piano hinge for the upper cowling to have a reference line drawn the length of the hinge 3/16" behind the hinge eyelets to be used to ensure the hinge is straight on the firewall. I drew the line where it was supposed to be. I followed the instructions that said the line had to be parallel to front of the top skin. I placed the hinge such that the reference line was exactly on the front edge of the top skin even though the index hold didn't line up. I then match drilled each of the holes into the piano hinge (based on holes that were already in the top skin). When I took it apart I found that the holes were way too close to the edge of the piano hinge (only about one rivet diameter away). The only way for the holes to be in the center of the "meat" of the hinge would be for the reference line to be up under the top skin where I wouldn't be able to see it. So I suspect the plans have the reference line drawn in the wrong place.

bruce
RV-8 bought, flown, sold
RV-10 bought, flown sold
RV-14A in progress

Issues are tracked and investigated ( that is easier to do if you mention a plans page and step #)
There is a stickied thread at the top of the RvV-14 thread that has been used to log /report suspected issues.

I completed this step a few days ago following the plans. Everything lined up correctly, there is plenty of rivet edge distance and the top cowl hinge looks just like the side wall hinges in terms of skin edge overhang. A plan error of this type would have been detected and reported long ago so I would suggest reviewing the steps again when you make the replacement hinge.

I completed this step a few days ago following the plans. Everything lined up correctly, there is plenty of rivet edge distance and the top cowl hinge looks just like the side wall hinges in terms of skin edge overhang. A plan error of this type would have been detected and reported long ago so I would suggest reviewing the steps again when you make the replacement hinge.

Bruce
I replied to your PM. Let me know if you still want me to call.
Brian

Bruce,

Just so you don?t think this is a tough crowd (well it is), but most builders have made many mistakes and had to purchase many replacement parts. There are many reasons and many excuses. Over time you realize it?s just part of the process and you don?t sweat it.

Back