What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting SS

Fly2eat

I'm getting ready to cut my RV-4 firewall to install cutout for the rear mounted prop governor. Any advice on the best tool to cut stainless steel firewall cleanly and precisely would be greatly appreciated. I only want to do this once!

I'm getting ready to cut my RV-4 firewall to install cutout for the rear mounted prop governor. Any advice on the best tool to cut stainless steel firewall cleanly and precisely would be greatly appreciated. I only want to do this once!

I hate drilling SS. I prefer a cut off wheel or dremel and finish up with a carbide burr when the size will allow.

I hate drilling SS. I prefer a cut off wheel or dremel and finish up with a carbide burr when the size will allow.
Thanks, I'm not concerned about the drilling, just the actual cutting. I have a cutoff wheel for a Zip drive cutter. Did you use a carbide burr on a dremel?

Cutoff wheel on a right angle die grinder. 3" dia, 1/32" thick as I recall.

Finish with a Rol Lok sanding disc in same grinder.

Start off by drilling the four corners, leaves a nice clean radiused corner in the finished hole. Eliminates the tendency to crack at the inner corner.

Cutoff wheel on a right angle die grinder. 3" dia, 1/32" thick as I recall.

Finish with a Rol Lok sanding disc in same grinder.

Start off by drilling the four corners, leaves a nice clean radiused corner in the finished hole. Eliminates the tendency to crack at the inner corner.
Thanks Mike! That's what I was looking for!

Thanks, I'm not concerned about the drilling, just the actual cutting. I have a cutoff wheel for a Zip drive cutter. Did you use a carbide burr on a dremel?

I have a 3" cutoff tool that I use. Carbide burr in a die grinder; You want this for high speed. Other options will work though. Dremel will work, but go slow as it doesn't have a lot of torque.

Back