What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Acquiring Tools

pstarbard

I'm New Here
Hi All,

I'm guessing this is an often repeated post so, my apology in advance. I'm a new prospective builder and have just ordered the practice kits (tool box and control surface example). I need to order the tools to complete these projects and would then plan to add the additional tools needed to build the aircraft. I'm looking for best-practices in acquiring tools (sources, places to find used tools). Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Thank you,
Al

Tools

Hi All,

I'm guessing this is an often repeated post so, my apology in advance. I'm a new prospective builder and have just ordered the practice kits (tool box and control surface example). I need to order the tools to complete these projects and would then plan to add the additional tools needed to build the aircraft. I'm looking for best-practices in acquiring tools (sources, places to find used tools). Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Thank you,
Al

Official welcome should arrive soon. Till then, welcome.
Yep. Tons of threads. Might want to search a little.
I got lucky and bought my starter tools used. 1/2 price.
Most seem to like Cleveland, Isham, Aircraft Tools. Cleveland is best.
Wedgelock clekos are best.
Decide on C-Frame vs DRDT
Pneumatic vs manual squeezer
2x vs 3x
Tungsten bars rock.
I have a spreadsheet on my blog. Basic Builded log. One tab is every tool I own.

Ahhh, there it is, the Welcome. Now to tools.

I got Avery, the equivalent today is likely Cleaveland. Avery still operates his machine shop (I think) and makes tools, but does not assemble kits.

Lots of paths, I got the deluxe kit, bought a pneumatic squeezer, angle air drill separately. Added a rivet remover kit (works pretty well for universal rivets), some clamp style clecos, and an air powered sealant tool. The only tool purchased with low value was a large alligator squeezer. it would be better for a larger project, but not this one.

YMMV. The most expensive tool is the one you don't have when you need it.

Keep a good knowledge of what tools are available. Then only buy as the need develops. Don't know about you, but I could spend near unlimited money on tools, fill up the garage and have no room for the plane.

Also remember, he who dies with the most tools wins! Or is it the most airplanes?

Welcome to the build club. I’m a newby too and bought most of my tools from Plane Tools and a few from Cleveland. Get the jig for counter sinking the trailing edge as it makes it easy. So many other tools are available that just take the frustration out of the build. Pan American tools has a sale on right now where you can get a smokin deal on a drill, bits, etc.

Cheers

Keith

The major tool suppliers will kit up a "homebuilder tool kit" that has enough stuff to get you going. Unless you have a garage full of stuff already, it's probably worth looking at one, either to buy in one click, or just to get an idea of what's considered essential

Off the top of my head, here's some stuff you're going to need right away;

A good rivet gun- this isn't a place to skimp Buy a good one that you can feather the trigger on. Note I said "good," not necessarily "new & expensive" my favorite rivet gun is a 3X that I got used from the Yard Store in Wichita. They always have a selection of refurbished guns that originally lived in the Cessna or Boeing factories. Some of them look beat to smithereens on the outside, but they've had the guts changed out they shoot like a dream

A selection of bucking bars- I LOVE the little tungsten bucking bar. It's crazy expensive compared to steel, but it's crazy easy to use compared to steel as well.

a decent air drill

#30 & #40 drill bits

A compressor- the higher volume, the less time you're waiting for it to pump up. I have a Cobalt 26 gal. vertical from Lowes, and it will keep up wit pretty much anything but a die grinder.

A way to measure stuff down to 1/32" Also not place to skimp. I have a 4" steel ruler graduated in 1/8" and 1/16" on one side and 1/32" and 1/36" on the other side.

Dimple dies and a way to dimple (i.e. either a c frame dimpler, a DRDT-2, or a home brew solution.

About a zillion silver clecos

1/2 zillion bronze clecos.

A good vixen file, various grit sandpaper, red scotcbrite.

Stuff that you're going need eventually:

A 4-5" bench vice
rubber hammers
lots of different kinds of clamps
a bench grinder
torque wrench

Stuff that you can live without, but it's really nice to have

Drill press
bench top belt/disc sander
bench top band saw
bench grinder/buffer with 3m wheels for aluminum
45* & 90* air drills

This list inset all inclusive by any means, but hopefully it will get you pointed in the right direction.

Also, nobody always has what they need when they need it. When that happened, you can take a step back and buy borrow or build the right tool, or you can take a step back and figure out how to fix what you just botched up with the wrong tool.

Welcome

Welcome! I’m just finishing my 9 tail. I bought a WiFi borescope (~$50) a while ago and it has come in super handy for aligning the bucking bar in locations that you can’t see directly (eg riveting top skin of elevator to spar). I have a rivet removal tool and for me it’s a must-have (it centers the drill bit on universal rivets). I have a c-frame which I use not only for dimpling but also to back rivet universal rivets. I use dreamers not drill bits to final size pre-punched holes. The reamer produces much cleaner holes. I wouldn’t give up my pneumatic squeezer. Good luck!

I bought Isham's set off planetools, and am really glad I did. The DRDT-2 is a must-have, as well as the pneumatic squeezer. I opted for the middle of the road drill upgrade, and love my drill. I've never used a Sioux drill but can't see any room for improvement. The orange rubber/swiveling flush head rivet set is very easy to use.

I wish I had bought a premium benchtop grinder wayy sooner. The low-speed setting is very useful.

I’m in your same situation currently and I’m definitely getting drdt2 and numatx squeezer. I think these 2 tools will make life much more enjoyable and keep my internet up. Hoping for some deals at the sun n fun coming up 🤞

Buffing wheels aren’t discussed here much. Cleaveland sells two. I had the cp-7am for my first build and it takes material fast. I bought the light deburring wheel when I started the 8 build and I like it a lot. Isn’t as aggressive and really does take burr off well without digging in too much. I’m sure someone with a lighter touch uses the 7AM only and loves that. But for me the second wheel has been awesome in a right tool for the right job kind of way.

I bought the numatx squeezer and it was handy in some places like the edges of the wing and empennage skins. It does fit where the CP-204 won’t which is just a few spots. It is nice to not have to adjust for rivet length but pressure matters. I’m probably going to sell mine when my fuse is done. I never had to have it and it isn’t as good as all that for me. The foot pedal drives me a little nuts. I’d like it more if it had a little button on the hand piece or that I could bite down on (not really - well maybe) that drove a electric valve with an orifice to slow the action down.

Back