What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First time...kit on the way!

ATC_RV8OR

I'm New Here
I've been mulling this over for a long time. It took me a few years to get serious about it. Last December I ordered preview plans and now I fiannly ordered the tail kit for the -8. It should be here next week, but I won't be able to start right away. I'm still tinkering for at least another week on my Tri-Pacer getting it ready to sell. I have some questions regarding tools. I have purchased a DRDT, rivet gun etc...but I still need to buy dimple dies and squeezer sets. Can anyone tell me why Browns dimpe dies are $18.95 and Averys are $36???? Whats the difference? I noticed that Browns seems to have lower priced items. Has anyone bought the Taylor squeezer with two yokes for $600? Seems like a great deal, but I don't want to buy something cheap and wish I had put a few extra $$$ with it to get something that is quality. I have never purchased these type of tools before so I have no reference as to what things should cost in relation to quality.

Also pay the money and buy the Avery's squeezer and three yokes: No hole, 3" w/ holes, and longergon.

Also budget $100/mth for tools. You will continue to buy tools even after you have been flying for a few years.

PS. Congrats on purchasing the tail kit and good luck!

re: Brown's

I just called Brown's, ya see, Brown's is just across the street and about 1/2 mile west of my shop here in OKC. You're correct that their dimple dies are not American made. However, my brother built his RV9A and I'm working on my RV10 with dimple dies ,and a lot of other tools, from Brown's and haven't worn out or broken any of them yet. I have several of each size because I've had a few builders finish their planes in my hangar and they wind up leaving their tools with me.
It's really nice having a supplier right in your neighborhood, sometimes frightening.:D

Marshall Alexander

From what I gather, Brown tools are not USA made? Is this the price difference? The only thing I purchased at Browns so far is a Sioux 3x rivet gun, rivet sets, and clecos. They seem to have the best prices on clecos. Are any of the tools from Browns inferior for the build? I also bought the DRDT-2 from ACS. Their price was higher but the shipping was lower, so it worked out better.

It's Here

It arrived today. Got here much faster than I thought. Did the inventory, checks good. Still working on my Tripacer :( . That kit is staring at me!!! Hopefully I'll be done with the other airplane within a week or so and I can get started.

That's fast!

You got your kit in less than a week? :eek: I may have to re-think my ordering strategy, less my kit arrives in Indy before I do.

Brown Tool

Hi all,

I happened to check out the VAF web site tonight and I see that our name has been discussed and I wanted to help clarify why as a general rule our tools cost less than those of other suppliers. First let me say that the RV community is lucky to have several great tool companies to choose from. Avery and Cleaveland are both excellent companies with very well deserved reputations and Bob Avery sets the gold standard for providing outstanding customer service.

Regarding "Made in the USA", we stock over 3,000 different individual tools and the OVERWHELMING majority are made right here in the good ol' USA. My company, like every other aircraft tool supplier stocks some globally sourced tools (read Taiwan). Specifically, our Spring Back Dimple Dies are made in both Taiwan and the USA. All of the Screw Size Dimple Dies that we sell are made in the USA, and for the Flush Rivet Dimple Dies, we source these both from our USA supplier and a supplier in Taiwan. The quality of both is superb and laying next to each other, it is impossible to tell which is which.

The misconception that our prices are lower because our tools are imported is just that, a misconception. Again, the overwhelming majority of our tools are made in the USA. Our prices are generally lower for one reason and one reason only and that is economy of scale. Our business model is built on volume. The normal RV tool suppliers focus on the kitplane community almost exclusively, we do not. We sell to the largest airlines, every major aircraft factory in the USA, every branch of the US military, many foreign militaries, and repair stations in just about every country in the world. We also of course market to the RV/kitplane community, but it is not our sole focus. We are the largest aerospace distributor of Sioux Tools in the world and we supply Sioux Tools to many of the smaller suppliers. Where one of the smaller tool companies might stock 100 pairs of cleco pliers, we currently have about 3500 in stock, where one of our competitors might have 30 or 40 Rivet Guns on the shelf, we currently have over 400 in stock and ready to ship.

There is of course a trade off in dealing with us. I have never built an RV (but I have built C-130's, C-5B's, MD-11's, and worked on just about every commercial airplane flown by airlines in the 80's & 90's. I have replaced more seat track and installed more stringer repairs in 727's than I care to admit). It is unlikely that I will have the specific knowledge or time to walk you through a specific task on an RV and for the tool supplier that does have that knowledge and time, you must be willing to compensate him for his knowledge and his time. It is highly unlikely that I will repair the Rivet Squeezer you bought off of e-bay for "free", because I do not have a margin built in to my prices to account for "free" repairs. The staff at Brown Tool numbers just 10 people, including myself, and with about 100 orders processed each and every day, we will not always have the time to chit chat. What we will do is offer you a quality tool at a fair price.

I hope this helps to clarify the difference you see in prices and selection from supplier to supplier. The key is to balance what you need and expect out of a supplier and make the appropriate choice. You cannot go wrong with any of the tool suppliers that service the RV community. I go to "battle" each and every day with all of my competitors but I also have great respect for all of them and consider many to be friends. Each tool supplier does things a little differently and seems to have a niche and all work hard to earn your business. Find the tool supplier that fits your needs and budget and for those that choose my company, know that we appreciate and value your business. :D

Thanks to all!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.

www.browntool.com
[email protected]
1-800-587-3883

Hi all,

I happened to check out the VAF web site tonight and I see that our name has been discussed and I wanted to help clarify why as a general rule our tools cost less than those of other suppliers..............

...............Find the tool supplier that fits your needs and budget and for those that choose my company, know that we appreciate and value your business. :D

Thanks to all!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.

www.browntool.com
[email protected]
1-800-587-3883

well, that certainly lays to rest a lot of speculation. thanks for coming on and sharing the info with us! and even more thanks for maintaining an air of respect on this site!!

I'll definitely keep an eye on yall when it comes time to purchase my tools.. (hopefully this time next year!! :D)

"Thumbs UP" for Michael Brown

Like Marshall, I have the privilege of shopping for tools here in OKC at Brown Tool, and have done so since Mike opened a little one-car garage sized shop across the street from Wiley Post airport.

Even back then, working out of an impossibly small space, Brown Tool was all about quality, and still is. They do stock some import items, but from what I see, Michael really (really!) likes to see "Made in the USA". The great majority of their inventory - from what I can see - is US made.

You might like to know, Brown Tool also has an inventory of quality used tools, marked down considerably. I just bought three nutplate jigs for less than 1/2 of new, and they're great.

You got your kit in less than a week? :eek: I may have to re-think my ordering strategy, less my kit arrives in Indy before I do.
I sent my order on Aug 26 It was Invoiced Aug 28 and made it all the way from OR to FL by Sept 2. I had read there was a 2 to 3 week back order about a month ago...Back order must be over.

Tools

I have purchased my rivet gun a few odds and ends from Browns a few months back. I am very happy with it. I think I will go ahead and check out with that shopping cart at Browns. Although I'm still wishy washy on who to get the pnuematic squeezer from.

I have purchased my rivet gun a few odds and ends from Browns a few months back. I am very happy with it. I think I will go ahead and check out with that shopping cart at Browns. Although I'm still wishy washy on who to get the pnuematic squeezer from.

I purchased my squeezer from Brown's and am happy I did. High quality, made in USA. Got my yokes there also.

Back