What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How your RV-10 compares to a Pipistrel Panthera

Roadjunkie1

Well Known Member
WELL.....!

There is a new airplane on the market that I have actually seen in person, :eek: that comes from Slovenia: the Popistrel Panthera.....say that 4 times quickly. When you see it from a distance it looks like a VERY long, skinny airplane with a VERY long, skinny wing. And obviously made of composite. Those of you who are AOPA members MAY have seen this aircraft on the February issue (I say may as there are different issues with different covers and contents, believe it or not....).

Several points I noticed immediately:

Were they looking at the RV-4 cowling when that was designed? :D

Base price: $593,929; typically equipped: $600-700,000!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Pilot reports it is difficult to see out on the ground as the seats are reclining to make better head room. Um......and in the air....um......

But let's look at The Real World......

Spec sheet...(are you sitting down?)

(can't make a spread sheet: first numbers: -10; second numbers: PP and corrected to MPH on both sides.....)

RV-10: does not cost $700,000 Panthera: does; Part 23: $800,000
Engine: IO-540 (for comparision) : IO-540
Max takeoff weight: 2700 vs 2900
Useful load: 1050 vs 1,100
Usable fuel: 60 vs 55.4
Stall, landing: 57 vs 74
Cruise, 75% 8K: 197 vs 228
Cruise, 65% 8K: 176 vs 222
Range at 55%, 8K: 1000 vs 1000
Climb at Max gross: 1450 vs 1550
Takeoff roll: 500 vs 968 (weight not listed)
Vno: 156-200 vs 201 (and easy to get there!!)
Vne: 200 vs 235

So, bottom line: You have/are building a REALLY GREAT airplane that competes quiet well with the latest "plastic" slick bird with retractable gear. In a lot of ways, the -10 is better, especially the initial COST. And doing your own maintenance....and.....and.....and.....

Keep building/flying! RV's are the best airplanes in the Sky........!!!

Last edited:
For a really fair airspeed comparison, they should both have to leave their wheels down :)

It’s an RG? What does insurance cost?
Is there a typo? I’d guess it’s nearly impossible to have (essentially) the same 75% cruise speeds but quite different 65% power cruise speeds.
Edit: I see a few other typos, mixing of knots/mph, etc., but it doesn’t change the conclusions.

Last edited:
The RV-10, being lighter but with the same engine, has to have the higher climb rate. I would enjoy a real world, side by side comparison. :). But, as Bob noted the “big picture” doesn’t depend on the details. I don’t see any -10 owners interested in trading.

I believe there's a Pantera Hybrid in the works. .Rotax series engine with electric augmention. Power like a IO540 for takeoff and climb with gas and electric, redundancy if electric fails, the Rotax can keep you airborne, if the rotax fails, the electric can keep you airborne. . Interesting idea anyway. .

Back