What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE 2012

dav1111

Well Known Member
{I hope Russ Doesn't mind - I copied this from another thread, becasue I know folks want to put LOE on their calendars!}

Come join the grass roots RV flyin that started over 20 years ago. October 12-14, 2012 at Weatherford, OK. We are looking at doing a Poker Run this year on Saturday October 13, 2012 if there is enough interest.

Because of the rain out last year we are planning a rain date of October 26-28. We will call the rain date on Wednesday October 10, 2012 if heavy rain is likely the weekend of October 12-14.

FYI last year the airport operations, owned by the City, lost over $6,000.00 because of the rain out but they are exicited about doing the Fly In again this year. Saturday evening at LOE 2011 there were only 11 airplanes on the ramp (6 left early to beat the weather) but because of the great support of those who flew in and drove in we raised the small crowd that dug deep in their pockets and we raised more for the BACKPACK FOOD 4 KIDS charity in 2011 than we gave them in 2010.

2012 will be the third year of holding the LOE grass roots RV flyin at Weatherford, Oklahoma. Put it on your calander and join Russ Kamtz and Russ Daves (Co-Chairs) for the Fly In event at which every penny raised be the raffle goes to the Charity in cash at the close of the raffle.

Last edited:
HOORAY for the folks at Weatherford!! Gotta love 'em! I think the rain date is an excellent idea. We'll be there.
Mrs. Mel :p

You know Doug, I think I see a "Running of the Russes" in our future... ;)

[ed. Consider it done! <g> dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
where can I get more information about this LOE?
camping, services, expectations etc...

On field camping just like Oshkosh is allowed, but no showers. Lunch on Saturday will be available on the field, catered by Lucille's Roadhouse. Last year Lucille's donated every penny collected from lunch sales (not profits) to the raffle charity!! No info will be posted about 4-6 weeks prior to the event.

Since I can't make it to Oshkosh this year, I'm really looking forward to LOE being my/our first fly-in in the new RV.

I'm looking forward to the gathering again. I was one of those aircraft on the ramp last year and was not able to leave until Monday since I'm VFR only.

I'm skipping OSH this year and if my work schedule permits I plan on driving to LOE instead. I'd rather hang out with my RV brethen there instead of adding to the Airventure bottom line.

Guy's I had to do a search on it but as a fairly new RV owner this looks like a great event (and close also):D. The airport at Weatherford is great & would like to see some RV's & meet some new people. I know the date is mid October, but keep us new guy's in formed.

Thanks

I have merged your thrend so you can see all the prior info postings. LOE is the Fly In of the year in my humble opinion.

For those interested, LOE 2012 weekend is the same weekend as the Texas / Oklahoma football game. We will have the game on a big screen projection TV inside the air conditioned building with food and drinks available.

We were there.......

.....and plan on it again this year. Likewise, VFR only, we didn't get out until Monday last year, and although it was a small turnout, it was top-notch just like the last 6 or 8 years. I think I'll pass on OSH next year so's I can spend more on raffle tickets next year! See ya there!

LOE Rental Cars?

Just starting my planning for LOE 2012 and wondering if there is a plan in place for obtaining rental cars at the airport as was done two years ago, or is everybody on their own for this?

Has a schedule been published yet?

I know it's still a month away but it's probably time to start planning.

Chris

You are right Chris it is time to start planning. The Registration Form and other info can be found at:

http://www.loeflyin.org/Home_Page.html

We decided to do a dedicated web site this year and are asking Doug to post it on the front page of www.vansairforce.net

Rental cars are available starting at $62.99 per day (the rental cars have to be brought out from Oklahoma City).

Discount rates at Holiday Inn $102.00 per night, Comfort Suites $97.00, Best Western $15% off, and Fairfield $101.02. For Seniors it might be cheaper to do it online. Tent camping allowed on site (restrooms but no showers).

Registration deadline October 5, 2012 so that plans can be made for the amount of food on Saturday night.

Registration is $35.00 per person. $50.00 after October 5, 2012.

Just starting my planning for LOE 2012 and wondering if there is a plan in place for obtaining rental cars at the airport as was done two years ago, or is everybody on their own for this?

Has a schedule been published yet?

I know it's still a month away but it's probably time to start planning.

Chris

Last edited:
Rain date?

I noticed that on the LOE website or registration form there is no mention of a rain date as mentioned in the first post of this thread?

The rain date will be October 26-28, 2012 if necessary. We will determine on Wednesday October 10, 2012 whether a rain date is necessary and will post on both the new dedicated web site:

http://www.loeflyin.org/

and on vansairforce.net

The new dedecated web site is still a work in progress and still lags behind postings to vansairforce.net.

if a rain date is called we will also call everone who has sent in their registrations.

Last edited:
For those of us not able to attend, Is there any way to purchase raffle tickets online?

Not at this time, however we are looking at the possibility of setting up a paypal account for the charity for anyone who cannot attend and buy a raffle ticket at the event but still wants to make a donation to the Backpack 4 Kids Charity.

Don't forget to register:

http://www.loeflyin.org

For those who have not checked the bottom of the vansairforce home page, the raffle prize list is posted and as of 9/15/2012 is already up to $4,656.35 with four more weeks to raise additional raffle prizes from donors.

Let's make this the best LOE ever for all those hungry kids.

As co-chair of LOE2012 I received the following offer by one great gal:

Again this year, I will buy tickets for those that can't make the LOE 2012 fly-in, especially since Food 4 Kids is such a great charity.

I will handle the purchase of tickets on behalf of someone who cannot attend as follows: 1 ticket - $30.00, 2 tickets - $45.00, 3 tickets or more $20.00 each. All monies paid for the tickets will go to the charity. Shipping will also need to be reimbursed for those that win and I take possession of the raffle item at the event.

Checks can be mailed to Tonya Card, 17305 Ennis Trail, Austin, TX 78717, and need to be made payable to Tonya Card, as only cash is accepted at LOE for the purchase of such tickets. I will cash the checks and take the cash to LOE, purchase the tickets and write the person's name on the back of both double tickets. One half of the ticket goes in the drawing box with the person's name on it and I hold the other ticket to claim the prize on their behalf at the raffle on Saturday night.

Tanya Card

Thanks a bunch Tanya, I am putting out an advance dibs on some of your cookies as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget to register and register early, the FBO tells me they have something special for the first 100 people who register. There is still time to be part of the first 100:

For those who have not checked the bottom of the vansairforce home page, the raffle prize list is posted and as of 9/19/2012 is already up to $11,213.85 with two more weeks to raise additional raffle prizes from donors.

Also if we have to call a rain date it will be done on October 10th and the rain date will be October 26-28, 2012.

Transport to Hotels

Will there be local transportation available to get to/from the hotels? I'd prefer to not have to rent a car for such little use.

Russ- I"m unable to open the registration page,keep getting an error. Is it avaliable somewhere else?

Remote Raffle Tickets

I have received several generous checks to buy some raffle tickets for those that cannot attend this year's LOE. Thought I'd remind everyone that if they want to get some tickets, I need checks by Oct 10th in order to convert them to cash.

Checks should be made payable to and mailed to Tanya Card, 17305 Ennis Trail, Austin, TX 78717.

In an effort to encourage more funds going to the charity: 1 ticket - $30.00, 2 tickets - $45.00, 3 tickets or more $20.00 each. All monies paid for the tickets will go to the charity. Shipping will also need to be reimbursed for those that win and I take possession of the raffle item at the event.

We have reached $14,549.85 in LOE raffle prizes to be given away. Don't miss your chance for some of these great prizes. If you haven't registered go to

and download the registration and pay the $45.00 fee. It is important to register so they know your size T-Shirt to provide, if your size is still available at this late date, but also to know how many people to order food for the Saturday night banquet.

LOE 2012 RAIN DATE CALLED. MOVED TO 10/26-28/2012. Don't forget to cancel or change your hotel reservations. The airport will move all registrations to the new date and all car rental reservations will be moved to the new date.

We hated to call a rain date but the forecast along with the current weather just did not look good.

Russ Daves & Russ Kamtz
Co-Chairs LOE 2012
Joined by Doug Reeves

Darn...

Darn, a little weather... probably just pass through now that the dates have moved. Unfortunately we will not be able to reschedule.

Will plan again for next year!

Well That is a...

Bummer. We could have made it this weekend. Not sure about the 27th, have to be in Florida on Monday. Maybe I can plan this into a work trip. :cool:

Regards,

+1 on the darn

Family in town that weekend, may try to fly in/out on the Saturday and pick up the T shirt.

Conflict

The dates also conflict with Copperstate in Casa Grande AZ.

Maybe the dates could be moved to the last weekend in September next year. Less overall conflicts in September.

Too many fly-ins in October every year.

Yep. I won't be able to make LOE this year either.

Recklaw is also on the weekend of the 26th-28th. I already made plans to attend that and also to visit my sister who lives abut 30 miles east of Recklaw.

It was a really hard decision for Russ Kamtz and me to call the rain date but we did not want to have a repeat of last year. Hope many of you get to come on the new date October 26-28, 2012. We are giving serious consideration to moving LOE 2013 to the last week in September.

We have reached $15,879.80 in LOE raffle prizes to be given away. The new list will be posted at the bottom of the Front Page on Monday morning. Don't miss your chance for some of these great prizes. If you cannot be present also remember that Tanya Card is taking money to buy tickets for those who cannot attend. For Tanya's info see one of the earlier postings in this thrend. If you haven't registered go to

and download the registration and pay the registration fee. It is important to register so they know your size T-Shirt to provide and also to know how many people to order food for the Saturday night banquet.

You guys made a very smart call. The weather here in central Oklahoma has not been conducive to a fly-in.

I was just thinking the same thing

Dan,

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm guessing movie night at KGOK got cancelled as well?

Joe

Weather

Weather man says the remainder of October in Oklahoma will be temps above normal and low chance for precipitation. :D

Back