What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air filter cover plate; air filter distorting ? Why?

N667CD

I've had two air filters distort. The air filter medium is bent out of shape. The air filter cover plate that should hold the air filter in place cracked where the leading edge on the outboard side is bent up to screw in place to the baffling. I don't have my plans with me, as I am away from home for the next 3 months. Anyone know the part number for the air filter hold down cover plate? IO390 engine, standard Vans finishing kit baffling. Anyone else having a problem with their air filter getting distorted? Any suggestions about what to do? Thanks, JDW

Attachments

• Photo Air Filter distortion.jpg
    Photo Air Filter distortion.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 182
As Chris mentioned, backfire in the intake. Part # CB-00033 @$8
Multiple people have had this to happen

Air Filter hold down cover plate on order from Vans; THANK YOU FOR PART NUMBER

Roger, thanks guys, for the speedy reply. Part on order from Vans. Now I need to learn how to start engine without a backfire. JDW

I have also seen it happen on shutdown if mixture control is not correctly adjusted to be not quite lean enough to do a full shut down.

My -7 blew out a filter and it looked just like that ... after a backfire from too much priming.

IO-360 EFII Ignition

This happened to me. The mistake I made was timing the P-Mags at TDC. There is a note in the timing instructions that is helpful. I timed at 5 degrees after TDC and the problem has not reoccurred.

From the manual:
"For engines with recommended magneto timing of 20 degrees, operators might start with both 1) JUMPER IN, and 2) CLOCK (time) the ignition 5 degrees after TDC."

Air Filter

Air Filter is a K & N part number 33 - 2060.

I also had problems if the air filter frame, cracked twice on the third rebuild I used set sets of frame work and doubled them up, hasn't cracked since.

Back