What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What gets opened/removed for condition inspections?

humptybump

Well Known Member
I?ve never quite known exactly what must/should be opened up for the condition inspection. This thread may be helpful to new owners.

Here is a list of items from an RV-8 (in no particular order)
  • Remove upper and lower cowl
  • Remove spinner
  • Remove all wing inspection plates
  • Remove wing root fairings
  • Remove wingtips
  • Remove gear leg intersection fairings
  • Remove upper gear leg covers
  • Remove wheel pants
  • Remove empennage fairing
  • Remove empennage cover plates
  • Remove seats
  • Remove pilot floor and seat panels
  • Remove passenger stick cover / panel
  • Remove baggage compartment shelf
  • Remove side panels
  • Remove flap covers

Annual Inspection Check List

Suggest you break it down into sections and list tasks: Lay it out in the order you would do it in. This helps to not miss something, and actually speeds up the process.

FWF
-list items to check
-list maintenance items
Wings
-list items to check
-list maintenance items
-list SB items
Empennage
-
-
Rear Fuselage / Baggage
-
Cockpit Floor
-
Panel - Fwd Cockpit
-
Landing Gear
-
etc... etc..

My check-list is over 7 pages long & is filed in a Tech File for future comparison.

Last edited:
There are some check lists available on the bottom of the POH page.

I have updated mine significantly since sending it to Doug for posting. Mostly by adding the tools required to complete each line item. (Wrench size, consumables, etc.).

I don't have a list of panels that I remove, but I do have a tip to add that's really helped me be focused on my inspections: remove all the panels the day before the inspection.

It may not seem like much but it usually takes me at least a couple hours to remove all the panels, it's boring, tiring, and monotonous; not exactly feelings that inspire me to do a thorough accurate inspection.

I've found it works best for me and my schedule to go out to the airport on a Friday after dinner take a quick flight to warm/stir the oil; once back at the hangar I drop the oil and remove everything and go home. Then I come out fresh Saturday morning and can just focus on inspecting with my checklist; this allows the inspection to flow well and I feel it keeps me in a better mindset. It also allows me to complete the actual inspection in a single day unless I find a unplanned squawk or maintenance item i need to order. usually I'm ready for other things by the time I finish the inspection so I'll come out the next day and button everything back up.

Please include on your list for them to check the 12 bolts that are supposed to only be missing on QB fuselages. I've known, and there's a thread here about it, of slow builds that were missing those bolts because Van's only said it applied to the QB kits.

My plane was built by an A&P, had been flying for 10 years, had condition inspections every year and by at least 3 different people, and it still didn't have those 12 bolts installed. It took us 2 weekends to install them but now I feel better knowing they're all there.

Add remove the fwd baggage floor to inspect the rudder pedals and fuel pump unless you are small and limber enough to crawl under the panel.

Suggest you break it down into sections and list tasks: Lay it out in the order you would do it in. This helps to not miss something, and actually speeds up the process.

I am a novice with only 2 done, but this group/order make practical sense, and what can be independently done in each group and then buttoned back up to allow progressive inspection, if that is desired.

I had the groups, but the focus on order and wrapping it up before moving to the next group keeps my head more clear on the job at hand. The process is already being modified for the 3rd inspection.

I have updated mine significantly since sending it to Doug for posting. Mostly by adding the tools required to complete each line item. (Wrench size, consumables, etc.).

Oooo, I like the wrench sizes.
I got torques, pressures, specs, consumables, lubes, and place to list/update dates last inspected or replaced for timed items.

It might be worth noting the tools for the common jobs that can occur on a trip, and carry those in the plane. Thinking of thing like spark plug changes, tires, etc.

Dave

I got torques, pressures, specs, consumables, lubes, and place to list/update dates last inspected or replaced for timed items.

Torques and pressures !!! I?m not a mechanic but always do the grunt work on my inspections. This year I learned a lot more about my plane and did practically the entire squawk list myself. Any chance you would be willing to share that list because the torques and pressures are the things I always have to ask and we end up having to look them up individually.

Yep, mine also lists applicable torque values, pressures, etc. as well.

In fact, I include the checklist with my log books, so the cylinder pressures aren't in the logbooks (nor are they required) but they are on the checklist.

In addition to the wording required in Operating Limitations stating the inspection has been completed, if I fix, replace, and/or repair something, that will get added to the logbook above the signoff.

Every year, I find something new to add/update/correct on the checklist, so I have never removed "DRAFT" from it. It is a "living" document, if you will.

"Tools and torques" is a great suggestion. I found I was always asking the A&P "umm, what torque do I use for XYZ".

"Tools and torques" is a great suggestion. I found I was always asking the A&P "umm, what torque do I use for XYZ".

I am updating some sheets to document this for the condition inspection by focus area. I like that idea. Everything needed ready at hand.

It would be wonderful if a file with all torque values could be accessed by Siri, but alas not that helpful.

Siri - what is the spark plug torque on an IO360 lycoming? . . . .zip

I understand Watson might do this, anyone know?

I write the torque values on the engine with a Sharpie. Spark plugs, auto and aircraft type, alternator turning torque to set the belt, drain plug, sump filter screen, etc.. Same with the nose gear breakout force and several other numbers you need to have when working.

Gear leg inspection on annual / condition inspection

Hey guys, I can't find anything anywhere on my searches. Is there any reason to remove the long main landing gear leg fairings on a condition inspection? Obviously the top and bottom covers, but the one that runs the length of the gear leg itself, covering the tube? Same on nose? Thanks. RV7A

Last edited:
Hey guys, I can't find anything anywhere on my searches. Is there any reason to remove the long main landing gear leg fairings on a condition inspection? Obviously the top and bottom covers, but the one that runs the length of the gear leg itself, covering the tube? Thanks. RV7A

I do. Easy to do just pulling one long piano hinge pin. I check mainly for wear from rubbing the fairing may have on gear leg or brake line. Fiberglass is very very abrasive.

I do. Easy to do just pulling one long piano hinge pin. I check mainly for wear from rubbing the fairing may have on gear leg or brake line. Fiberglass is very very abrasive.
and to make sure the tape is still holding the brake line in place.

Let's not overlook the oil pump finger screen located at the lower back of the sump......

That's where you will find the big pieces that didn't make it to the filter.

Back