What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston area RV-12?

bsbarnes10

To All,
Hello! This is my first post so I'll do a bit of introduction before I get down to it. I'm currently living in Houston working as an engineer in oil & gas and ever since I was a child my father and I have discussed building an airplane together; now we're finally at the point where it's something we CAN do. He currently flies a Cherokee 180 and I'm a student pilot with about 10 hours in my logbook. I had been thinking of a Kitfox but he wants to build an RV-12. Obviously airplanes for slightly different missions but with a lot of overlap in the "general fun" category... One of my big concerns is comfort since I'm about 6'1". I've never had the opportunity to get close to an RV-12 so I was wondering if there's anyone in the Houston area who'd be interested in at least letting me sit in their airplane to see how I fit? And, if you're up for it I'd happily split gas and buy the burgers if you're willing to take me for a ride :)

-Bruce

EAA 302 meets this Saturday at Conroe airport. Plenty of RV's of all types. Come join us if you can.

Jay

Definitely get a ride in one of you get the opportunity. But I can tell you that I bought a 12 project earlier this year so one of the goals when we went to Oshkosh was to see how we fit in one. I'm 6' and I found it very comfortable. My wife's knees aren't what they used to be and she found getting in and out was easier for her with the 12 than it was when we tried the 14 on for size.

Bruce,

Welcome to VAF... the world wide brain trust for all things RV.

Already mentioned, there are multipls of every model RV based at Conroe, and if they don't have a -3, I'll bring one. Just wanted to add that the members of EAA 302 have mentored the build of two Eagle's Nest Projects RV-12s (1-ULS and 1-iS) at Montgomery high school and they will soon begin building their 3rd. There are at least 4 flying RV-12s based at Conroe so I expect that if you ask at the meeting you'll have no problem getting a ride in one of them.

While I'm not a member of EAA 302 (they say I'm a troublemaker) I'll be at the meeting tomorrow and will be flying one of the Eagle's Nest birds (EN-16). I'll be parked just outside the ramp door and you can sit in it as long as you want. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Have a great day!

Thanks to everyone

I just wanted to make a quick post to thank all the good folks of EAA chapter 302. I had a great time attending the meeting on Saturday, it's clearly a very active, supportive chapter and everyone was very welcoming. I was able to see three different RV-12s and got a lot of great information. Special thanks to Gerry and Ernie!

I'll definitely be back....

-Bruce

Back