What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Masking Tape Removal

MK77

Well Known Member
The original builder on my RV-7 project used masking tape instead of rivet tape to hold the rivets in on some of the skins while he riveted them on. The real problem is that he didn't remove the tape right away. Plane was in El Paso and the tape baked on and dried out in the hot dry air. Long story short, I need to get this tape residue off and it's a total PITA! I've tried MEK and other solvents but they didn't work very well. Tape is so dried out MEK just runs off or evaporates without doing much.

Finally tried some 3M caulk remover I had laying around. It's thicker so you can put it on and let it do it's thing. Wiped right off! Anyone know of any reasons why I shouldn't use this stuff on aluminum? Didn't see anything in the instructions / MSDS that suggested any issues.

Matt

This is the only thing I can think of: If the canopy is near by, fumes from the caulking remover causing some crazing of the canopy edges.

(I have no idea what, if any detrimental solvents are used in 3M's product. Just saying.)

Tape removal

Stewart systems paint stripper is safe and even removes the clear tape used for flap anti scuff tape. Citrus based stuff like goo off might work ?

Tape off

PS the egret to Steward Sysems is the instruction to cover with polyethylene film overnight. This will let the remover penetrate the tape B4 it dries, whether it's MEK, alcohol or whatever.

If the 3M caulk remover has ammonia in the list of ingredients, it probably isn't safe for use with aluminum.

Thanks for the good ideas!

I would think the Caulk Remover is fine for use on Al but figured it was worth double checking. Ingredients are as follows:

Water
Dimethyl Adipate
Smecite
Dimethyl Glutarate

Matt

Back