What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Plate Question

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi all-

I went ahead and used King to expedite my Registration and got the temp today. I am working on my data plate now (held off to make sure I had it engraved correctly). If you, like me get a little behind on getting this in they were great to deal with and very speedy.

What do you put for Manufacture date? The year I completed (2021) or when you purchased the kit? I searched but didn't see anything.

Also, if anyone is willing to verify that I entered the request correctly on my data plate order form since I've read the stories of it not being 100% accurate.

My Order:
Model: REED RV-7A
Serial No.: 70581
Engine: Aerosport IO-390
Gross Wt: 1800 lbs
Registration No. N167DR
Mfg. Date
Manufactured By: REED DAN M

FAA Database for my plane (just showed up today) https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult

Edit- sorry, guess it doesn't go to my plane N167DR

Thanks in advance!
dan

Last edited:
Looks like you're good to go. Only required information is Make (Builder), Model, and Serial Number. Any other information you put on is optional.

Last edited:
Technically, the date of manufacturer is the date the Airworthiness Certificate is issued.

Hey Mel-

I know you see a lot of these. I just spoke to the folks at engravers.net and he said he's never seen where someone had their name in front of the model # (in my case REED RV-7A) and had me triple check this was correct. He said they typically see just RV7-A

Is it really that odd?

I like it as a REED RV-7A so no biggy to me but just curious.

Last edited:
This is not that rare. It's not REAL common, but it's not uncommon either. Some people put VANS RV-7.

In my case I used A&M-6 instead of RV-6. It denotes Ann & Mel's 6th airplane that we had built; and also stood for where I went to school.

I also painted it White & Maroon.

Last edited:
It has to match your registration. I was trying to just get RV-6 as the model but either because of how I filled the form or the registration folks it came back "Young RV-6" That's what I put on my data plate. Should find out in a few days if the feds like it.

It has to match your registration. I was trying to just get RV-6 as the model but either because of how I filled the form or the registration folks it came back "Young RV-6" That's what I put on my data plate. Should find out in a few days if the feds like it.

That's why I always recommend that you wait for your registration to come back before engraving the data plate.

Thanks Mel,

Do you trust what gets posted on the FAA registry site? I'm hoping my paperwork looks just like what they posted online If not I guess I'll have to order another data plate.

Thanks again for all your help

Dan

Thanks Mel,
Do you trust what gets posted on the FAA registry site? I'm hoping my paperwork looks just like what they posted online If not I guess I'll have to order another data plate.
Thanks again for all your help
Dan

YES, The fAA registration website is what we go by.

Minimal Info

Put as little info on the data plate as is legally required. For example, if the engine model is on the data plate, and an engine change becomes necessary, then you're stuck.

What if you sell the plane and the new owner wants to change the registration? Can't do it now because it's engraved on the data plate.

All that is required on the data plate is the Make (Manufacture); Model; and Serial Number, must EXACTLY match the registration, no added punctuation.

Joe Doaks
Barnburner II

That's all!

DAR Gary

Thanks All-

I went with simple better and did the minimum three pieces of required information that exactly matches what is on the FAA registry site.

Dan

Hi all-

I went ahead and used King to expedite my Registration and got the temp today. I am working on my data plate now (held off to make sure I had it engraved correctly). If you, like me get a little behind on getting this in they were great to deal with and very speedy.

What do you put for Manufacture date? The year I completed (2021) or when you purchased the kit? I searched but didn't see anything.

Also, if anyone is willing to verify that I entered the request correctly on my data plate order form since I've read the stories of it not being 100% accurate.

My Order:
Model: REED RV-7A
Serial No.: 70581
Engine: Aerosport IO-390
Gross Wt: 1800 lbs
Registration No. N167DR
Mfg. Date
Manufactured By: REED DAN M

FAA Database for my plane (just showed up today) https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult

Edit- sorry, guess it doesn't go to my plane N167DR

Thanks in advance!
dan

I used King also. Since they're in Mustang, OK and I live in OKC, I just drove out the their house/office. Took it out there on Monday, they emailed me my temporary cert. Wednesday.
I took a picture of the data plate on my brother's RV9A and showed that to my engravers.

Put as little info on the data plate as is legally required. For example, if the engine model is on the data plate, and an engine change becomes necessary, then you're stuck.
What if you sell the plane and the new owner wants to change the registration? Can't do it now because it's engraved on the data plate.

The data plate reflects the information that is relevant at the time of certification.

The Make, Model, & Serial Number is "Fixed". That doesn't mean that other items can't change. It does NOT lock you in to the engine or registration number.

Even the Model can change. It gets more involved and is another story, but it CAN happen.

I'm talking U.S. here. Don't know about Canada.

Last edited:
Must be Canada

I was warned very specifically by the Canadian MD-RA about data plate information. Sounds like it's a Canadian specific issue.

This is to help Dan and other understand my questioning of his data plate info.

This is Wayne from Aircraft Engravers, www.engravers.net

We have marked a lot of data plates at Aircraft Engravers starting in 1992. Of the 2425 we marked so far we had to remark approximately 230 because of an error between the data plate and the FAA paperwork. We added a caution note on our website to remind people of this issue. Since we've added that note the number of data plates that have to be remade has dropped precipitously. We continue to question any information that doesn't look correct before it's marked. We still catch a few errors here and there, but nothing like it used to be.

I had never seen a person's name in the Model: field before Dan's order. Afterwards I asked my production manager Matthew if he remembered seeing any, he had seen 5 or 6 in all the years he's been working for me. So it does happen, but not often. It is certainly not a requirement if so many other data plates were marked without their name in the Model: field.

I rather do it right once then twice because of an error, as the replacement data plate is usually in a rush basis.

Here are some status if your interested, these are the number of data plates we've marked and what type they are:

3 - Exhibit
3- Light Sport
14 - Velocity
145 - Custom - Private aircraft (made per their design)
238 - Van's RV (7 data fields)
466 - Custom (airframe manufacturer)
676 - Experimental (10 data fields)
880 - Basic FAA (3 data fields)

Wayne

Last edited:
The engraver has the same availability to the aircraft registry as everyone else. It would be very simple to call up the registration and verify that the information is correct. If not, then he could contact the customer and bring it to their attention.

Thanks Wayne- and thanks for taking my call late on a Friday!

I too wanted to avoid a re-do and that is why I asked again on here to make sure (since this is my first time going through this).

Thanks again!
dan

Back