What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop tape removal

painless

Well Known Member
I have some 3M prop tape on order from Spruce for my Catto three blade and I?m wondering how difficult it is to remove it when it needs replacement. I?m concerned that it will take paint with it. Any suggestions on technique or input on experiences?

Thanks

I use that tape and have removed it twice. It pulled right off with no paint removal on my Catto. Go slowly and use appropriate angles when removing (google how auto painters remove masking tape - generally 90* angles or greater). I am sure that using a heat gun would make it easier and reduce the risk or paint removal.

Last edited:
Heat gun

I?ve changed mine out a couple of times and with a little heat from the heat gun, it comes right off my Hartzell prop. Don?t know about using a heat gun on a composite prop. No paint damage. Tape seems to last 2 years before it starts yellowing and looking ratty.

tape

Doc

Heat some amalgam to boiling point then apply with putty knive, grind off with rough burr on high speed flex drill until flush with paint.:eek::D

Back