What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Fastener retainer installation

Joe

Well Known Member
I'm having a devil of a time installing Skybolt fasteners' retainers on my (non-RV) cowl. I couldn't find a good procedure in the Skybolt catalog (196 pages!). I did remove the stud from the grommet and have a couple of borrowed tools (shown in the image, below).

So can someone enlighten me? How does one get the retainer installed on the grommet while the grommet is fitted through the hole?

Attachments

• Skybolt Fastener Installation.jpg
    Skybolt Fastener Installation.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 176
Small Screwdriver

I used a small screwdriver. After getting a start on the clip I then used a small screwdriver to work the rest of the clip onto the retainer. Takes about 30 seconds per device.

Thanks (and howdy, neighbor). That's what I did on two of them and thought there could be an easier/better way with those expensive Skybolt tools. Took me more than 30 seconds and I roughed up the cowl a bit on one. Maybe I'll get better with practice.

Appreciate your reply.

You are missing a tool part. The tool has a tapered plug with a shoulder at the large end. It sits on the grommet, and with the ring at the top, the sleeve tool shown pushes the ring expanding it until it drops off the expander into the grommet slot.

Personally, I use Viton o-rings as these steel things are such a PITA. I can get a number later if you are interested.

Last edited:
You are missing a tool part. The tool has a tapered plug with a shoulder at the large end. It sits on the grommet, and with the ring at the top, the sleeve tool shown pushes the ring expanding it until it drops off the expander into the grommet slot.
Now that makes sense. I'll see if it can be found.

O-rings seem like a good workaround but they would have to be very thin. You can see I've had to counterbore the hole to get clearance for the retainer. (I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of new grommets and posts.)

At this point I'm wishing I had used nutplates ...

Now that makes sense. I'll see if it can be found.

O-rings seem like a good workaround but they would have to be very thin. You can see I've had to counterbore the hole to get clearance for the retainer. (I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of new grommets and posts.)

At this point I'm wishing I had used nutplates ...
Are you sure you need to fix them to the cowl? I ended up not doing that. I just remove mine and put them in my pocket. That avoids the chance that they will scratch things when I remove my cowl.

Skybolt tools

Joe,

I've got the Skybolt tools in my hangar. I don't actually use the retainers. I used some small orings that work just fine. In fact most of them stay in just fine without any retainer. Text me if you want to try the tool 901-9980... you know the area code

Happy New Year

Kai

The tapered steel plug may be inside the tool in your photo, under the rubber end. If it rattles it is in there.

I second Coggins. I just remove them. Really easy and the cowls just slip on with no issues

Hope to fly my Cub Saturday

It was in the handle!

The tapered steel plug may be inside the tool in your photo, under the rubber end. If it rattles it is in there.

This.

It didn't rattle but I took off the handle and found it there today. Mystery solved. Thank you and thanks to BillL. too.

Might look for some O-rings as the retainers are even tougher to get off than to install (without the tool). But the metal retainers are only 0.040" thick so the O-rings would have to be considerably smaller than the 1/16" ones I have on hand.

Back