What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copperstate fly-in

Joe

Well Known Member
Yesterday I flew down from Independence, OR to take advantage of a weather window (and a tailwind that peaked at 69 knots). So far it's pretty quiet in airplane camping.

Zva3GyT.jpg

Would enjoy flying out to lunch tomorrow if other early arrivals are so inclined.

I had heard of the Copperstate Fly-In for years, but never had the opportunity to attend. Now that I live in AZ, I thought I should drive over and see what it's all about.

That said, keep in mind that I was expecting something along the lines of Sun-N-Fun -- like a mini-Oshkosh. Also, that today it apparently wasn't really up and running. It officially starts tomorrow. I may have to return.

Van's presence at Copperstate is somewhat understated -- a lone RV-14 and a single representative to answer questions. Maybe more are coming later.
FEACwN

Here are the RVs that were on the field as of about noon today:

ae002455-e974-493d-9c6f-1d95b73a70b7

613ad8e7-1cec-4f76-ab33-094fa215f968

2e88f3df-21f4-4d95-8448-afc7fd714531

8d878fe3-c13a-4401-8307-62e33631d75d

676816de-1eff-4044-a61c-1badca06f31a

ec58df5b-b3a7-4ac3-96c8-be459fbffb42

6fb2c924-4981-4dc3-b898-d78cd74c0c43

014b7548-38f7-42bc-89ce-a241b263317d

b7bff35c-37ea-4729-9731-cbdde14c4645

[more to follow]

Last edited:
My friend Ralph Inkster will be here. If you see a guy with an SDS cap on, that would be him. If you ask him nice, he might show you a CPI-2 programmer.

Friday

Don; your photo's are a no-show, at least I cannot see 'um

Been to a few of these over the last several years now. CopperState is a real
"mini-me" of Sun and Fun. I like the smaller footprint which provides better access to the Vendors (that are there) due to the smaller crowds. It has moved around a bit the last few years from Casa Grande, to Falcon Field in Mesa and now Buckeye; I dunno why...

The fire-breathing Yak-110 put on an impressive display!

Sure can't complain about the price of admission. Free(Parking also!)

Carl, if I click on EDIT on my post, the URLs for the pics are all there between "" brackets. Not sure what to make of that. I clicked on the icon to add pics, inserted the URLs, and they're in there somewhere, but don't show up in the post.

Not sure what happened with the pics, sorry. I’ve always used Photobucket, but when I logged on to upload my pics, they wanted a monthly fee to access my photos! No thanks.

So, I found Shutterfly and uploaded them there. I then pasted the URL into the dialogue box as usual ... but nothing popped up. I even tried deleting the post to try again later, but even that didn’t work.

I’m heading back today and will try again later.

Last edited:
Thanks, Carl. I did what you said and the links now show up, but not the pictures. I give up. :mad:

Attended

I went out today, Saturday. This is a first time event at Buckeye, AZ. KBXK. They have an annual "Air Fare," but this year they combined with Copperstate. Not only is an aviation event but it is a community event with lots of non aviation booths and exhibitions.

The exhibitors building was spacious but there was no lighting make it someone dreary inside. I met with Andrew Barker and Chad Jensen and had a great visit.

I walked the complete ramp area. It was conspicuously absent of RV's typical of such an event. There were more canard type planes in various flavors than RV's. Never seen that before. There is plenty of parking but much of it on freshly graded dirt and vigorously wet down. No wind fortunately.

Overall, I think the venue has potential. I love to see the planes blocked together, i.e. Experimentals together, spam cans, warbirds etc...

Saw lots of friends. Next year I'll have the RV and freshly renovated J3 Cub out there.

Copperstate flyin

I flew out Yesterday, and your right they did do a really good job and that lighting was sorely missing in the vender hangar. The further back you went the darker it got.
Other BIG problem is the exiting from the visitor parking. The dirt was ok until the very last part you are guided to enter the departure taxi way. It was so bad I got a couple of nicks in my prop and my nose wheel bounced so much my strut fairing chipped.
I should have mentioned this yesterday on VAF as a warning. Sure hope the copperstate officials fix it
Otherwise a great little event

I had heard of the Copperstate Fly-In for years, but never had the opportunity to attend. Now that I live in AZ, I thought I should drive over and see what it's all about.

That said, keep in mind that I was expecting something along the lines of Sun-N-Fun -- like a mini-Oshkosh. Also, that today it apparently wasn't really up and running. It officially starts tomorrow. I may have to return.

Van's presence at Copperstate is somewhat understated -- a lone RV-14 and a single representative to answer questions. Maybe more are coming later.
FEACwN

Here are the RVs that were on the field as of about noon today:

ae002455-e974-493d-9c6f-1d95b73a70b7

613ad8e7-1cec-4f76-ab33-094fa215f968

2e88f3df-21f4-4d95-8448-afc7fd714531

8d878fe3-c13a-4401-8307-62e33631d75d

676816de-1eff-4044-a61c-1badca06f31a

ec58df5b-b3a7-4ac3-96c8-be459fbffb42

6fb2c924-4981-4dc3-b898-d78cd74c0c43

014b7548-38f7-42bc-89ce-a241b263317d

https://photos.shutterfly.com/gallery/b7bff35c-37ea

[more to follow][/QUOTE]

...single representative? You mean Mitch Lock, President of Vans!

...single representative? You mean Mitch Lock, President of Vans!

Vern, no slight was intended toward Mr. Lock. His name tag was a business card, and I couldn?t make out the name from a distance, sorry. However, to appease you and anyone else who interpreted my observation as other than intended, I drove back over there today and introduced myself to him. We had a nice conversation, chatting about Van and the company over the years.

I was disappointed to see that most of the RVs had already departed by Sunday morning. I don?t know what Copperstate was like in prior years, but I?m glad that I never made the trek out from Indiana for it. Kind of a dud, IMO.

I am a "local" and attended on Friday and again on Sunday (just to catch the airshow, which was excellent). Copperstate has been a great fly in historically. They have struggled a little in recent years. First with really hot weather (traditionally held in October). Second, the last two years in was held at Falcon Field which is a really nice airport but is a Class D under the Phx Class B. That keep some people out (with great airplanes), especially folks flying classics without Mode C or challenging (i.e. bad) performing radios. Buckeye is a good alternative as it is just outside the Mode C Veil and uncontrolled. Nice long, wide, and smooth runway also. Biggest problem this year in my opinion was that the website pilot guidance suggested that the showplane parking was for airplanes to be judged (only). Many nice experimental aircraft got put out in the well manicured dirt parking (me included on Friday). There was a LOT of room on the asphalt show plane area. I think they should have loaded that area up with experimentals and classics before sending people to the south forty dirt area. When I went back on Sunday I had my sign for "showplane" parking and got a nice spot on the relatively uncluttered asphalt ramp. I enjoyed the show and appreciate the effort that the volunteers put into it. Hopefully it can be brought back to its former glory days when it was at Casa Grande, Phoenix Regional, and Eloy (dating myself now). I will continue to support Copperstate and hope others will do the same.

I like the location except for the smell

I got parked in the dirt as well. Not too happy about that on Sunday. Good small show, and yes.... they could use actual electric lights in the exhibitor building. Even solar... it is AZ after all.
Mitch laughed about the comment on Van's AF. He showed my wife the 14. He was very polite when I told her it was a 12. Forgot my glasses, or brain.
The traffic on the way in used the radios just the way they should. Well done pilots.
See ya next year !!

I walked the complete ramp area. It was conspicuously absent of RV's typical of such an event. There were more canard type planes in various flavors than RV's. Never seen that before. There is plenty of parking but much of it on freshly graded dirt and vigorously wet down. No wind fortunately.
That was my experience too. I met plenty of friends from the canard aircraft community (almost a dozen) but basically zero RV'ers. When I left Sunday before the airshow my white aircraft was filthy from the water trucks and dirt.

... glad that I never made the trek out from Indiana for it. Kind of a dud, IMO. ...
Kind of depends on one's perspective. I made the trek down from Oregon and was not sorry. I kept busy (and warm) by volunteering with RV/camper hosting and the composites forums. Free lunch for volunteers! The size of the crowds didn't prevent me from seeing what I needed to see from the vendors and I found a bargain at the fly-mart. The airshows and that ridiculous twin-Yak with a jet engine -- meh. But I loved seeing and hearing the F-35 fly-over as well as the occasional 2-ships in tactical spread headed out to the ranges. Glad I came.

Now I'm "recuperating" in a motel in Benson, AZ (E95). The airport seems mostly deserted but maybe things are happening behind closed hangar doors. As the OP I'd like to repeat my original request and would enjoy meeting others here and flying out if possible. (503) 383-1205.

I too enjoyed the fly-in and the airshow. Good idea to combine the two and bring in the public, for free. You can’t be too judgemental of regional events, they need our support. Great job Joe!
It was worth the trip for me, then I hightailed it home between storms Sunday.
As a side note, I joined the 200 knot club again on the way down. On the way home I could have joined the flying backwards club in a 99mph wind but it was too cold up high to take the time to turn the needed 90 degrees. Then I did record the flight level 180 for the club standing. Might post these to the corresponding threads.
Cheers to all that made the effort to go. It was nice to see some familiar faces like Bruce and meet some new ones.

Last edited:
The wife and I flew down there from Prescott (short trip) Sunday in the Lancair. Parked in the muddy dirt, didn't like that at all. I'm glad we didn't take the Staggerwing. Not as many planes there as I expected but the airshow wasn't bad for a small event. The vendor hanger had no lights.. Very odd. And there were empty spaces. The fuel was higher than I was lead to believe. The uAvionics guy was rude and didn't have a clue, most everyone else was nice and helpful. Sunday was a good day to talk to the vendors. The Buckeye airport crew were A1. Luke & Phoenix approach very nice. I don't think I'd fly a long distance for Copper State but it was a decent local show. BTW.. Being outside all day in the middle of cattle holding facilities... Stinks... Summer there would be unbearable.

The wife and I flew down there from Prescott (short trip) Sunday in the Lancair. Parked in the muddy dirt, didn't like that at all. I'm glad we didn't take the Staggerwing. Not as many planes there as I expected but the airshow wasn't bad for a small event. The vendor hanger had no lights.. Very odd. And there were empty spaces. The fuel was higher than I was lead to believe. The uAvionics guy was rude and didn't have a clue, most everyone else was nice and helpful. Sunday was a good day to talk to the vendors. The Buckeye airport crew were A1. Luke & Phoenix approach very nice. I don't think I'd fly a long distance for Copper State but it was a decent local show. BTW.. Being outside all day in the middle of cattle holding facilities... Stinks... Summer there would be unbearable.

I had a long discussion with the UAvionics 'guy'. Once he figured out that I was an EE, He opened up about the technology and politics of ADS-B. He wasn't trying to sell me anything. Perhaps you met someone else.

V

Back