What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust preference?

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Time to order the exhaust for the new RV-8 project (IO-360 M1B engine). What is the current consensus, the Van's exhaust or Vetterman's?

Carl

Time to order the exhaust for the new RV-8 project (IO-360 M1B engine). What is the current consensus, the Van's exhaust or Vetterman's?

Carl

I contacted Clint at Vettermans. Good guy and easy to work with. I have the IO360M1B also on my 7 and his suggestion was the 4 pipe. I also have his intake tubes i.l.o. Lycomings. I should be receiving my exhaust in a few weeks from him.

Vettermans

Aren't they one and the same? I thought the exhaust that Van's sells were manufactured by Vetterman. That was the deal when I ordered mine for the RV-7 w/ -M1B anyway. Perhaps the RV-8 is different.

My Vans purchased exhaust was made by Vetterman... it is a work of art!

Last edited:
Vans Exhaust

I have Vans exhaust pipes on my RV-8. Form, fit and finish are very good, but I had to add down turn tips to keep the exhaust from impinging on the exit ramp.

Aren't they one and the same? I thought the exhaust that Van's sells were manufactured by Vetterman. That was the deal when I ordered mine for the RV-7 w/ -M1B anyway. Perhaps the RV-8 is different.

They used to be, but I believe Van's has a new supplier.

Carl

Carl

If that is true.....for shame for shame for shame!

gomer-pyle.png

I've got Vetterman Trombone and happy.

Ditto on the trombone exhaust. Perfect if running the cold air sump. I am not yet, but plan to do so.

EDIT: Almost perfect. I had to put a small bubble in my James cowl to clear the left side tail pipe clamp.

I have a Sky Dynamics, 4-into-1 exhaust with the downturned tip.... The exhaust system has over 2,000 hours and it has been very robust. I did have to have the 4-into-1 collector fixed once.

I'd recommend a 4 into 1, either Sky Dynamics or AWI, just because the tailpipe is arranged for a clean cooling exit...and there is no crossover to heat the fuel controller.

Read what Dave Anders has to say in the October issue of Kitplanes.

Van's not very new supplier is Van's. Been making systems in house for quite a few years now.

The systems for the RV-12, 14 and the common crossover system that will work on vertical induction 320's and 360's are produced in house.
I think I am correct in saying that anything else (540, angle valve 4 into 2, etc) that Van's sells is still produced by Vetterman.

Back