What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Heat Cable

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
While I'm waiting for delivery of my #10 drill bit for my pneumatic angle drill, I'm getting my cable ready for the heat cable installation. Since the cable housing goes through the #10 hole in the firewall stiffener, I'm not sure how hard it will be to put install the cable end for the control arm of the heater selector bypass, since it doesn't allow much movement. I am thinking of putting the first 90 degree bend in first, putting that bend into the hole of the control arm, and then doing the second 90 bend in to complete the installation. Any thoughts?

heatcable.jpg

I used the B-nut (Van's has them) and a small piece of angle to keep the control cable in line. Ignore the connecting hardware in this picture, it was replaced with the B-nut. The B-nut allows rotation on the heater control arm to keep the control cable from curving and binding.

1206907262_DFaPD-M.jpg

This modification does require a deeper slot cut into the cabin heat box center tunnel cover.
Having the control cable sit aft of the firewall longeron gives room for the wiring bundle to sit forward of the cable.
Another thing to consider is using a platenut where the adel clamp is connected to the firewall.

Vans plans for the install are fine. I did change the location of the heater knob as an fyi. I moved the location of the knob to the left side of the panel and ran the cable across the upper part of the ribs and through them and then followed Vans layout. There is enough cable to do this. It works fine and it's just a personal preference but food for thought.

Back