What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel hose and fittings

grubac

Hey Guys

I'm trying to decide what kind of fuel hose and fittings to use. I'm trying to cut weight and cost, but at the same time have quality lines.

All of my fuel system components have male AN-6 fittings, so I'll be needing some AN-6 femail fittings. My engine is the IO-390 Lycoming

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of hose and/or fittings I should use?

Any suggestions or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Grubač

Quality vice weight vice cost

I'm trying to cut weight and cost, but at the same time have quality lines.

For peace of mind and general safety I plan to not even consider cost when it comes to fuel/oil fittings, lines etc. Quality is the single criterion.

Don

fuel lines

until you get forward of the firewall the lines are 3/8 aluminum tube. once past the firewall your specific engine, mount, injection, along with how you pick up pressure and flow will pretty much drive your routing and specific lengths for flexible hoses. fittings are all standard an with the exception of the special lycoming fittings at the mechanical fuel pump.

my engine from lycoming came with firesleeved hoses from the fuel pump to the fm200 and from the meter up to the diverter. i used a standard vans 3/8 hose from the firewall to the fuel pump and standard length 1/4 hoses for the pressure and for the purge return.

to accomodate the fuel transducer bonaco is making me a couple of short hoses to replace the single 1/4 line.
image002wh.jpg

the typical location to tap fuel pressure is from a tee fitting at the fuel pump... for my routing and mount this positions the supply from the pump poorly and would require a different hose... bonaco is providing a male to female 90 fitting that i had not seen anywhere, a 6500-6-6d that will solve my routing perfectly without other hose modification.

Mr unpopular here

Personally I want steel fittings north of the firewall. The cheapest place to get suitable hoses is from your local hydraulics shop. They can make both oil and fuel system hoses in the same stuff as aeroquip. You want the teflon lined hoses.

The only problem with fuiel hoses if you go this route is you will have to buy the firesleever seperately and give it to your hose assembler.

Lot of people will tell you the fittings are mmade in china..which is true and they are also perfectly suitable.

many airplanes are built this way around here never had any hoses or fittings fail.

You can also weld up special fittings to fit a custom installation if you need to.

Frank

Back