What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 - governor

grubac

Hey Guys

Just a quick question. What are some of the plus' and minus' of having a prop governor located at the back of the engine or at the front of the engine??

thank in advance for any replies

grubac

oh...in one more quick question

I'm trying to find some more detail info and specs about the IO-390, but haven't had any luck thus far.

Ideally I would like to find a list of components that come with the engine and their corresponding tech. dat. This way I'll be able to determine what I have and what I still need to purchase.

cheers

grubac

Other than the front governor, a 390 is about 1/2" wider with slightly bigger cylinder heads and carries about 8lbs over a similar angle valve 360.

The front governor runs at a different gear ratio from the rear governor models which is no real problem other than ordering the correct governor. Stock Vans prop control cable won't work, but another longer standard length worked just fine on my RV8.

Vetterman already supplies a 390 exhaust system, so fitting the 390 to a RV7/8. poses no real problem.

You can talk to Barrett Performance or Mattituck for more engine details...

To connect directly to the center of the 390 universe, click the ad on the left which says "BPE".

Deene,
Your reply sounds like the 390 only has the front mount as an option, when I ordered mine from Lycoming the other day they asked if I wanted front or rear prop governor mounting and I specified rear because I thought the cable routing would be easier.

Other than the front governor, a 390 is about 1/2" wider with slightly bigger cylinder heads and carries about 8lbs over a similar angle valve 360.

The front governor runs at a different gear ratio from the rear governor models which is no real problem other than ordering the correct governor. Stock Vans prop control cable won't work, but another longer standard length worked just fine on my RV8.

Vetterman already supplies a 390 exhaust system, so fitting the 390 to a RV7/8. poses no real problem.

You can talk to Barrett Performance or Mattituck for more engine details...

Glad to hear there is an option, rear is easier to cable to. Choice wasn't available to me several years ago when I ordered my 390.

Having it up front is nice becasue it is very easy to get to, to adjust and check. If you have an -8, there is more room behind the engine, but on a -7, for example, it can be tight back there with the mags, oil cooler, etc.

thank you for all of the answers guys.

It being, that I'm purchasing an engine for the first time, I'm trying to determine where I should start looking for all of the additional components that don't come with the new engine.

for example:

prop governer
oil cooler
gascolator
fuel filter
air filter
extra electric fuel pump

I'm guessing components meant for the 360 would also be appropriate for the IO-390.

Do you guys have any suggestions??

thanks in advance

grubac

Back