What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Inexpensive Tablet for Borescope use

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, Walmart has a bunch of Android based tablets on sale during the Black Friday week and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what would be the best one for:

A. Only connecting to a BORESCOPE with USB. I have iPhone and iPad's and have tried using the Lightning to USB apple adapter but I think most of these devices pull too much current from the iPad and it won't let it.

B. Would like to just use it for taking pictures and then connecting to the WIFI Hotspot on my phone and email the pictures to my account.

C. Then put back in the cabinet for the next time.

D. Any version of Android that would be better than any other?

Would be nice to get one to do the job and stay below $50.00. I don't think size is a huge concern and brightness, it will be used in a hanger.

Thank you in advance!

Mark

Mark,

I would be looking at it from another angle .... the software requirements for app package that comes with the bore scope and total current draw. You will want one that says it is compatible with the Android operating system if Android is the way you desire to go.

As for a USB port's power output capability .... unless something has changed, the "standard" as I know it for the typical USB port is 500 milliamps max per USB port ... as found on the typical computer or laptop. To be honest, I'm not sure if that "standard" has been followed by the smaller devices such as notepads ... guessing it still would be. But to have a shot at it, you would need to purchase a bore scope that has a total current draw of less than 500 milliamps of current from the USB port.

In keeping with your request for "the best inexpensive tablet" remember expensive may not yield lasting quality. That said, there are a few inexpensive tablets with a brand name that don't start with an "i". The following are Android based units around or under $100 ... Asus Zen Pad 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab E, Lenovo TAB 3. Not sure if the Amazon Fire 7 Tablet would work but it is Android based and inexpensive ... think you would need to do some research on that unit.

Power?

I don't really follow the power draw issue but.......
I bought a usb borescope at SNF and it plugs into my cellphone.
Note 5....I downloaded an app for free...
Take pictures onto phone.
Take phone home and connect to computer and put pictures in file called 2017 Condition inspection.
Next year I will do the same except call it 2018.
Pretty easy.

I use a USB boroscope with my MacBook Pro, and it works fine. I use PhotoBooth to view and record the boroscope. The real issue is that the USB port on the device must be strong enough to power the boroscope. I'm not sure that any tablet can do that.
John

I use a USB boroscope with my MacBook Pro, and it works fine. I use PhotoBooth to view and record the boroscope. The real issue is that the USB port on the device must be strong enough to power the boroscope. I'm not sure that any tablet can do that.
John

The cheap borescope works fine with my Nexus 7 Android tablet.

I know it won't work with an iPad mini - the lights go on, but it requires too much power to operate the camera. You should get the Nexus 7 Android tablet that was suggested. I don't know if you can get one for $50, however.

Yes, I've used my MacBook Air with the camera plugged in but would like the easier portability of a tablet.

Any reason why something like: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Voyager-7-16GB-Tablet-Android-6-0-Marshmallow/53990885
wouldn't work just fine?
Hopefully it isn't loaded with a bunch of BLOATware and other KOOKY stuff and just pure Android that you can snap a pic and then save it to SD card or save it to a dropbox or something like then when you get WIFI connectivity. Don't want to pay for a CELL plan or anything like that for this device.

Thanks!

Not all cheapies will detect an on-the-go/OTG device like a thumb drive or drive the boroscope.

Make sure to check this. I have a $30 ZTE 812 Maven wally phone that does NOT.

It normally displays my GRT remote app PFD via bluetooth.

I'd say this should work, review says OTG functions with USB flash drives inserted into microSD port. Not sunlight direct readable, and reviews on Wally have lots of screen issues with display faults. Assumes it is Voyager III as below. It appears all bloatware is disableable if not deletable.

http://www.notebookreview.com/tabletreview/rca-voyager-iii-review-low-price-performance/

Last edited:
The cheap borescope works fine with my Nexus 7 Android tablet.

I have not had any luck with the cheap borescope I bought on eBay on either of my Android tablets including my Nexus 7. The borescope does work but so far only on a Win7 tablet. It is supposed to be Android compatible.

Can you tell me which borescope app/software you are using on your Nexus 7 and also which Android software version? I'd really like this thing to work with a tablet so I don't have to drag a laptop around.

Thanks.
Bruce

I have not had any luck with the cheap borescope I bought on eBay on either of my Android tablets including my Nexus 7. The borescope does work but so far only on a Win7 tablet. It is supposed to be Android compatible.

Can you tell me which borescope app/software you are using on your Nexus 7 and also which Android software version? I'd really like this thing to work with a tablet so I don't have to drag a laptop around.

Thanks.
Bruce

Wish I could, but I must have purchased the camera directly from China, I can't find it in my Amazon and eBay history. I paid about $14 if I recall correctly.

The software is one of the many generic camera apps from the Play store. Sorry I can't be more specific, the camera and tablet are at the hangar and I don't remember specifics......I've slept since I set the device up several months ago.... ;)

Thanks.
Bruce

You might try..... CameraFI app.

Wish I could, but I must have purchased the camera directly from China, I can't find it in my Amazon and eBay history. I paid about $14 if I recall correctly.

The software is one of the many generic camera apps from the Play store. Sorry I can't be more specific, the camera and tablet are at the hangar and I don't remember specifics......I've slept since I set the device up several months ago.... ;)

Checked on the Android app while at the hangar today--it is MScopes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zyepro.mobilescopes&hl=en

The camera isn't branded so no help there but I suspect it is similar to most of the other inexpensive cameras.

Checked on the Android app while at the hangar today--it is MScopes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zyepro.mobilescopes&hl=en

The camera isn't branded so no help there but I suspect it is similar to most of the other inexpensive cameras.

Thanks for checking. Doesn't work for me though so it's either the particular camera I have or maybe the version of Android my Nexus 7 is running [5.0].

Same result with Camera Fi. Camera lights up but is not recognized as being attached.

Back