What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks! another 8 flying

NLPete

Hello all.
I?ve been a lurker here for a long time and thought I?d step out to say thank you to Doug and all the fine people that have ever posted here. I have been building an RV-8 in Southeastern Minnesota for about 8 years. Nearly every problem I had while building my airplane was addressed at some time by someone on the forum. I was able to solve most issues without posting any silly questions and simply using the search engine (although I thought I might be in trouble when my first question was whether or not I should prime my tail). My silly questions went straight to Van?s, a few members of the MN Wing and the friendly folks I found in OSH. Thanks to Alex DeDominicis for outstanding transition training. First flight was June 6, 2014 with no big problems.

My airplane ended up with:

ECi Titan IO-360 from Americas Aircraft Engines
Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust
1 Lightspeed, 1 mag
Whirlwind 200 RV prop
Garmin 430W
AFS 4500
Garmin 696
GMA 240 audio panel
GTX 327 transponder
AFS (TruTrak) autopilot

Her?s my try at pictures. If they don?t turn out, just draw an RV-8 on a white piece of paper, then use a black crayon and draw a line down the side. That?ll give you an idea of what it looks like.

svo2sp.jpg

2vjvjgn.jpg

33u32c4.jpg

2hn5aux.jpg

Thanks again everyone! Hope to see you in the Wild Blue Yonder!

Nathan

Welcome to VAF!

Hello all.
I’ve been a lurker here for a long time and thought I’d step out to say thank you to Doug and all the fine people that have ever posted here.

Nathan

Nathan, welcome (finally) to VAF:D

Congrats on the plane, looks beautiful.

I do believe you may have the record for long term lurker----------7 years;)

Well done, Sir!

Thanks for the kind words, welcome and wishing you a fine Phase I.

v/r,
dr

Nice job on the build and first flight, Nathan. Congrats.

That has to be the skinniest runway anywhere. I like it.

No wasted land at all. :)

Wow! Beautiful panel, as well as the rest of it. Bet that runway is fun in a stiff crosswind, especially if it's from the side with the longer grass.

That's the taxiway to his 5,000 x 100 ft grooved concrete strip.

I met you at the MN wing meeting a few and back. Your plane turned out beautifully.

Congratulations on your first flight! That is a tremendous milestone. Wishing you nothing but blue skies and tail winds.

Congratulations on building a flying machine. I am sure you will enjoy the flying but just as important are the breakfast flights to Eau Clair and Superior. I look forward to seeing that beautiful machine and meeting you

Bernie

I like the plane choice.
I like that you appear to be able to weed with your wings.
I also believe grass is the real way to make an airstrip.

good show!

Video

Thank you for the compliments. Remember, this airplane is the result of a conglomeration of tips, ideas, and techniques gleaned from this site. You all helped build it!

My runway seems to have generated some interest. That runway was chosen for its photogenic qualities. I enjoyed taking those pictures. I think they are interesting and inspire imagination. I thought everyone would have more fun looking at them than the ones showing a dull hangar in the background. In 1982 I went to Hawaii. I had my picture taken with a Hula Girl. I didn’t spend my vacation with her, she was just there for the picture. Think of that grass path as my RV-8’s Hula Girl (technically possible, but…). I made a little video to satisfy the curious as to how I operate from this strip.

http://youtu.be/8xd3cGIvB-8

I hope this did not detract from my expression of gratitude to Doug and all the VAF posters that helped make this airplane possible. You have all spent a lot of time in my shop!

Have fun! After all, that’s why we do this isn’t it?
Nathan

P.S. This was my first try at a You Tube video, so I’m not real slick with the editing.

Last edited:
Oops....says your video is 'Private'. Need to make it available to the public for viewing.

Back