What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAVIONIX ECHO-ATU-20 ADS-B in/out

I have a RV-12 with Garmin 327 Transponder and a non-WAAS Garmin 296 GPS. The GPS antenna is mounted under the fiberglass engine cowling. I’m getting close to purchasing an echoUAT/SkyFYX system and have a couple of questions…

1) Uavionix now has two types of WAAS sources - SkyFYX or the SkyFYX-EXT. Which would be better choice if I mount under the cowling next to the existing GPS antenna for the Garmin 296?

2) Can the ADS-B WAAS antenna be mounted directly next to an existing GPS antenna without signal problems? This would make a clean installation.

3) Uavionix says to mount their antenna on the belly of the airplane 1 meter from both transponder and comm antennas. I have xponder ant near firewall and comm ant about 1 meter behind it. Do I have to install the new ADS-B antenna 1 meter behind the comm ant? That’s going to put it half-way into the tail cone.

Thanks in advance…

Last edited:
I have the Echo installed using GNS430W for gps and it works great. A friend of mine just installed the Echo with the SkyFyx-Ext and it was a very easy install for him. I too had to install the ads-b antenna about half way down the tail cone because of other antennas but it works good there. I got a passing performance report from the FAA. The report is not required, I think, but it's a good idea because my first report failed even though my N number was showing on flightradar24.com. I had to make adjustments and then it was ok.

Dan
RV-7A

Jim,

You could really go with either the SkyFYX or SkyFYX-EXT. The SkyFYX-EXT is a weatherproof, robust unit that I personally would put in my engine compartment. The standard SkyFYX unit will work fine there too, but in that manner, you'd have EchoUAT and SkyFYX boxes inside the cockpit, then the GPS antenna under the engine cowling. With the SkyFYX-EXT version, you'd simply have the EchoUAT inside and the SkyFYX EXT under the cowling. Easier Install is the route I'd go, but that is just me. Both GPS options are the same price right now. Bundled UAT/GPS for $1399. Hope this help.

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I was not getting notifications. Very busy here as we are selling lots of EchoUAT bundles. Any questions, let me know and I'll answer ASAP.

Thanks,
Shane

GRT Hx and Echo

I am ready to install the echo with my 430W, 327, and 2 GRT Hx screens. I am curious as to how others are feeding multiple displays.
Is it possible to connect the echo to both screens? Or are you limited to only connecting to one screen and then depend on the ethernet interconnect cable to display features on the other screen?
Can you actually run 2 wires from the com 1 TX and RX to each screens open RS 232 Rx and Tx pins?
Thanks
Chris
RV-10

With RS232 you can only use one TX (transmit) port, but you may split the wire to two RX (receive) ports. e.g., HX #1 TX to Unix RX; unix TX to both HX#1 and HX#2 RX. So you can see data on both HXs but only #1 would control the Unix. Personally, I'd just run a pair of wires to whichever HX was convenient and then use the the ethernet connection to the other.

My installation

Chris, I only ran the adsb in signal to one of my HX screens, but there is no reason that you cannot connect to multiple units if you have the input ports open. I have noticed that traffic does show up on another screen on the PFD but have not looked for radar. I will try that on tomorrow's flight.

Ok thanks Bob/Tommy I thought there was no way I could send data back (control) to the Echo from multiple units on one serial - just wanted to make sure.
The manual says the ethernet will carry data to other units, so I would think your radar will show up too.
I can't wait to get it running, I have had no in flight wx or anything before now.
-Chris

Ok so I was going to do the echo and the GRT 2020 complaint gps but wondering if the new skyfyx ext is a better way to go the GRT gps gives more serial ports for HXR install in the future.

Ok so I was going to do the echo and the GRT 2020 complaint gps but wondering if the new skyfyx ext is a better way to go the GRT gps gives more serial ports for HXR install in the future.

IMHO you can never have too many serial ports, and since the cost is virtually the same, I'd tend to go with the GRT unit. But it looks like either will work.

Thanks bob, that's what I thought, looks like the new unit is weather proof which can aid in mounting various locations anyone know if the GRT 2020 gps is weatherproof. ?

GRT Sent Mis-wired Harness!!!

Installed the echoUAT / Safe-Fly GPS with my dual GRT SX displays. Had a problem with the setup configuration. It turned out my wiring was correct, but the harness GRT sent was not!

In helping me troubleshoot, Mark at GRT mentioned to check the GRT provided harness. GRT had several go out with the green & yellow wires switched at pin 10 & 11 on the serial combiner.

I found my harness was in fact mis-wired...switched the connections...the system now checks okay.

How to disable the ADS-B if required? I just completed the install with the GRT Safe-Fly GPS and the echoUAT transceiver paired with dual GRT EFIS SX displays. In reviewing FAA Advisory Circular No: 20-165, apparently you must have the capability to disable the ADS-B.

Ref:

Flight Manual Supplement (page A4-4):
Normal Procedures, Sec 4.4: Describe the procedure for disabling the ADS-B system
?

The current GRT integrated wiring harness has the echoUAT powered through the SPC module, thus both the combiner and transceiver are powered through a common CB. GRT does not provide a softkey to just disable the transceiver.

How have you addressed this issue?

Regards,

AC 20-165B says, "Describe the method to turn off the ADSB, IF THERE IS SUCH A METHOD..."

That said, just pull the CB and accept that you will lose whatever data/functions are using the extra serial ports on the combiner.

Remember that it is not legal to turn it off, unless you know that it is malfunctioning.

The Echo App has the option to configure the EchoUAT as transmit or receive only or off.

Yes. It can be changed by using your smart phone or tablet via Wi-Fi to open the echo software to change the configuration to "Standby / Off" Although I'm not sure if that would work because you program the echo to use "EFIS (Com1)" as the control source. I'm going to play with that tomorrow.

Regards,

Not quite so simple. That same AC goes on to describe the safeguards that are to be in place if it can be deactivated, to prevent an accidental turn-off. Again, if it is installed, it must be run. Not clear what your concern is.

Just to close to loop on my question on the ability to deactivate the echoUAT if for some reason it became necessary.

The power source to the echo, depending on the model GRT EFIS installed, is either routed to the echo via the Safe-Fly GPS combiner, or the echo is powered independently through a separate CB.

Although I could have had the echo powered through the combiner, I chose the latter.

Yes

Yes, I have one serial out line from the EchoUAT wired to my GRT EFIS and also receive the wifi on my IPad where I use Foreflight or Avare on an Android.

Yes, I have one serial out line from the EchoUAT wired to my GRT EFIS and also receive the wifi on my IPad where I use Foreflight or Avare on an Android.

To clarify.....The echo will work with Foreflight via my iPad?? Didn't see that Foreflight was listed as compatible on their Website.

Thanks

The uAvionix installation manual shows the Echo can be wired for direct communication/control by various digital Mode C transponders such as the SL-70, Sandia STX-165 and Garmin 327 and one or two more. On a different thread somebody mentioned that the direct wire interface doesn't provide complete information and the Echo still relies on wireless sniffing to get information from these transponders. Is this true? If so, what's the point of the direct transponder connection and diagrams in the manual?

Jim

Last edited:
The uAvionix installation manual shows the Echo can be wired for direct communication/control by various digital Mode C transponders such as the SL-70, Sandia STX-165 and Garmin 327 and one or two more. On a different thread somebody mentioned that the direct wire interface doesn't provide incomplete information and the Echo still relies on wireless sniffing to get information from these transponders. Is this true? If so, what's the point of the direct transponder connection and diagrams in the manual?

Jim

For compatible transponders like the 327, the RS232 line replaces the sniffer.

My understanding from a recent ADS B replacement, going from NW to ECHO is that the GTX 327 pin 20 Can be wired to the ECHO pin 4 and Can be set up to Rx RS232 on SQ CODE and MODE. However the Pressure Altitude is not included in that Garmin data string. The ECHO relies on "sniff" only for that Pressure Altitude. I set mine up to use the SQ and Mode from the 327 because it ( the wire) was there and that F(x) is not relying on a Radar sweep to initiate it. Probably would have used XPDR MONITOR setting had the wire not already been there. My Rx ALt ENC wire (there also ) is not used.

Thanks, Dan. Very informative. Too bad the Echo doesn't have a serial altitude input pin as then the whole thing would be direct signal. Good points. I do think you are getting 90% of the advantage by having the device up and transmitting without waiting on ground radar interrogation. The Freeflight has pins for serial altitude in and transponder interrupt to keep the transponder and UAT from stepping on each other. Albeit at more than twice the price of the Echo.

Jim

OK I"m confused?
Since I was using the NW Transmon I was under the impression that the sniffer would suffice for all required data and if so why bother spending quality time under the panel attaching a hard wire?

Thanks

Don Bodnar

OK I"m confused?
Since I was using the NW Transmon I was under the impression that the sniffer would suffice for all required data and if so why bother spending quality time under the panel attaching a hard wire?

Thanks

Don Bodnar

The sniffer will suffice for all required data. The downside to the sniffer is that it needs a transponder reply to sniff, and your transponder needs an interrogation to reply. In other words, if your transponder is quiet because you are outside of radar coverage then there won't be any signal for the Echo to sniff.

The hard wire connection eliminates part of this problem since some of the data is transmitted directly from the transponder to the Echo.

OK I"m confused?

Remember the NW 600EXP had several options in the set up console:: you could get Pressure Alt from the Transmon or you could wire that RS232 called ALT ENC. from your EFIS. You could also set up to use the Transmon for "CONTROL" or use a RS232 hard wire connection for that as well( as in GTX327) And as a third option you could use the transom to sniff both ALT and Control.

Actually the NW 600EXP had quite a number of good options. The only short fall was that it did not have a connection to Rx an external position source. And as things turned out, without that it became a boat anchor!

My 600EXP is in the bottom drawer waiting for someone on this forum to actually break the code and be successful at installing a SKYFYX -EXT or some other " approved " ( meets performance standard) LSA or Experimental usable product . I believe the knowledge base is HERE!! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Last edited:
Thanks Dennis,

I spoke with UAvionix about the transponder hard wiring issues brought up on this board.

The response was that after a predetermined time without a Transponder interrogation the Echo uses waas gps derived altitude in place of a pressure altitude source until the next interrogation is "sniffed". The Navworx Transmon worked the same way.

If the transponder were to fail this would be the reversion mode even if hard wired.

I suggested that a post from someone at Uavionix relating to this would be of help.

Don Bodnar

Last edited:
Agree but One of the differences and an excellent option is that NW 600exp actually had a setting option and terminals to hard wire your RS 232 encoder or EFIS directly to the 9 pin d sub. And even If you were using the transmon you could set it up to get altitude signal directly from that encoder and not as a relayed signal off the xponder or off the transmon sniff. Good to know that the Gps altitude is the back up. Thanks

I remembered writing this somewhere before didnt realize it was on this forum and just two post back. Sorry for the duplication. Theres too much of this stuff out there!!!

Last edited:
I've installed my uAvionix Echo UAT system and have a question. I need to input the baud rate from my Garman GTX 330 transponder. Looked in the owners manual and couldn't find anything. The choices on the EchoUAT configuration app are: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 921600. Any suggestions?
Bob Cowan
RV&A almost 500 hrs

So what coax cable is everyone using to connect to the adsb antenna? My current plan for locating the antenna requires about 3.5 meters of cable. According to the Uavionix manual, I would need RG 304 coax vs RG 400 as would be indicated for a shorter run. Trouble is, I cant find a source. Any suggestions?

I suggested that a post from someone at Uavionix relating to this would be of help.

Don Bodnar

Ding ding! The largest group of EAB enthusiasts is right here. Wake up Uavionix and put to bed all this hand wringing about your product, wired, non wired, sniffed etc.

Id buy if I knew the straight scoop, cause its not clear in your manual where it should be. Now I'm back on the fence.

So what coax cable is everyone using to connect to the adsb antenna? My current plan for locating the antenna requires about 3.5 meters of cable. According to the Uavionix manual, I would need RG 304 coax vs RG 400 as would be indicated for a shorter run. Trouble is, I cant find a source. Any suggestions?

Careful here. As far as I can tell, you'll need RG6/304 BNC connectors etc if you go this route.....RG58/400 are different, tho I cant say in what way.

You can however get RG393 on ebay for $11/ft...and you'll need connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cable for Uavionix

RG6 is 75 ohm nominal cable. RG400 and RG393 are 50 ohm nominal cables. Uavionix requires 50 ohm nominal. RG393 has about half the loss per foot of RG400. 3db of rf loss is equivalent to reducing output power by half.
Just for info.
Tyler

On further review, I?m considering mounting my Safefly/echo UAT just behind the baggage bulkhead. Then the RG 400 length would fall into spec. Placement of the GPS antenna would not be a factor since the one provided has just short of a mile of cable.

You may not need to mount the antenna so far away

I had the same concerns about Uavionix’s restrictions for the antenna location. I emailed their tech-support the picture below and ask them if would be OK to mount the antenna where the green arrow is located. They replied that it should be fine. It required less than 3’ of RG400 in that location. It has passed all the test and is working well.

oQQ.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for the pic/info. I?ve been trying to accommodate the not less than 1 meter requirement as noted in the manual. That location sure will simplify things!!

Disclaimer

Wow. Thanks for the pic/info. I?ve been trying to accommodate the not less than 1 meter requirement as noted in the manual. That location sure will simplify things!!

Disclaimer: Consult with you Uavionix before placing your antenna outside of their recommendations. They gave me the blessing to mount it where I did and it seems to be working fine. I?d hate for someone to have a problem based on my recommendation.

RG6 is 75 ohm nominal cable. RG400 and RG393 are 50 ohm nominal cables. Uavionix requires 50 ohm nominal. RG393 has about half the loss per foot of RG400. 3db of rf loss is equivalent to reducing output power by half.
Just for info.
Tyler

RG6 and 304 use the same connector and connectors have no resistance value.......

echo UAT

Just discovered this after talking to Trish at AFS.

I have an RV-8A with GTX 327 / 496 /AFS 4500 / iPad with Foreflight.
Thinking about the combo echo UAT / skyFYX system to interface with 327, AFS 4500 and Foreflight.

Haven't discovered a downside - can anyone with a similar configuration comment - especially anyone actually flying?

I had the same concerns about Uavionix’s restrictions for the antenna location. I emailed their tech-support the picture below and ask them if would be OK to mount the antenna where the green arrow is located. They replied that it should be fine. It required less than 3’ of RG400 in that location. It has passed all the test and is working well.

...angle of the pic not withstanding, I'd bet a case of beer your pipes (all 4 of them) are giving you some shielding (or shadowing as the case may be) between the xpdr and echo antennas....

Disclaimer: Consult with you Uavionix before placing your antenna outside of their recommendations. They gave me the blessing to mount it where I did and it seems to be working fine. I?d hate for someone to have a problem based on my recommendation.

Understood. My transponder antenna is quite a bit aft, more than the required 1meter from the proposed adsb antenna location. Only antenna I would be close to is my bent whip like yours, but I think I may be very close to 1meter away if I place it where your txpdr antenna is. I was concerned with that forward location not having enough of a ground plane forward of it. Apparently that has not affected function for you?

I have an AFS 5400, Garmin GTX 330 and Garmin 496 and I just got back a pass on the FAA ADS-B Performance flight report. Traffic and weather also display great on the AFS unit. Of course the Navworx did all of the to!!

Bob Cowan, RV7A

Back