What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Toolbox - Dutch Toolbox Design

Saville

Well Known Member
I've wanted an excuse to make this toolbox that I saw in a woodworking magazine. Getting a plane and putting it in a hangar gave me just the sort of opportunity I was looking for. So last Winter I made it.

I thought I'd show it here in case someone is looking for a handy, space-saving, roll-around toolbox.

This first picture shows the outside:

It stands between 4 and 5 feet tall. The ducting you see is for the heater I used last winter - the heater is on a shelf screwed to the back.

If you unlock the box and open the top, you see the main tool compartment at the top:

The slat of wood with the hole in it, which sticks up at the left is part of the locking system. There are two slats and you can see them running down the front of the case. When both are removed, you can pull the lower front panel off and open the drawer. I use that front panel as a work surface by laying it on a couple of collapsible saw horses.

This shows the drawer pulled out and the spacer used to accommodate the locking slats:

This last picture shows the oak fixtures that capture the locking slats and prevents the front panel from coming off unless you've pulled out the slats.
And you can only pull the slats out if you unlock the top:

It was easy to build out of standard milled lumber. It doesn't have to be built quite as tall. It can be shorter or you can build it in two sections - one stacking on top of another,

Last edited:
Back