What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbine Sounding RV9a

Billstone

I flew past my village last week and my wife video'd it. I watched the video that night and was surprised to hear the '9 sounding like a jet...despite it having a 160hp lycoming. Do they all sound like this?

Whistle

My RV-9A has a distinct scream or whistle, in videos it sounds great. I could send you one via email if you would like.

My neighbors know its me flying over without even having to look up.

Whistle

The sound is created by airflow over the bottom of the h.s. and the elevator at the hinge openings. It only occurs on some aircraft but is related to traffic pattern speeds when the nose is trimmed up/trailing edge of elevator up. Mine made the whistle and I tried covering various openings on the tail with sail plane tape. When the hinge openings on the bottom of the elevator were covered the noise went away--removed the tape and the noise returned.

Cheers,

db

On mine the whistle is only apparent at around 140KIAS or better, according to folks on the ground.

I had a guy tell me yesterday that my "turbo" sounded great and started asking me questions about how I was handling the intercooler airflow. :D

Do you/we gain the requisite coolness-factor 3-5kts of speed per dB of whistle, like painting your wings or tail checkerboard does? :D

Do you/we gain the requisite coolness-factor 3-5kts of speed per dB of whistle, like painting your wings or tail checkerboard does? :D

Unfortunately the RV-9 does not qualify for "checkerboard". Checkerboard denotes "Aerobatic" and the RV-9 is not aerobatic.

The "whistle" may be enhanced by painting the aircraft dark blue like the F4U Corsair! No guarantees!

Whistle in Cockpit

My RV9A whistles at about 125kts and is very apparent in the cockpit. Some of the RV guy's think it's the front left edge of the tip up canopy as it is not perfectly flush in that spot. Open to ideas, reseal? The plane is new to me so working through things.

Many 9A's are known to whistle, mine does, I don't think anyone has proven where it comes from but there is a lot of speculation that it's the elevator hinge openings.

Back