What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot static tube

rv3pilot

My pitot static tube came off the port bulkhead, way back in the tail. What’s the best way to get the tube back on the fitting?

Not my plane but it’s the same location. Way back in the tail.

zMXgXL3retuv3WAo9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMXgXL3retuv3WAo9

Last edited:
Floorboards

I made plywood floorboards. But depending on your weight and size you may want to get someone small and light to get in there. May have to remove the fat elevator pushrod ... :(

Last edited:
Also lift the tail to make it level, unless you're good at backwards commando crawl uphill...

As has been mentioned, level the plane and remove the big pushrod. Fill the belly with moving blankets or something else relatively dense. This will support a light person by distributing their weight. For a heavier person, you may have to custom cut some plywood work platforms that sit on the bulkheads and blankets, but frankly, the blankets should be enough. If the worker is heavier than a very light person though, they are to big to fit anyway….

Way back there.....

My pitot static tube came off the port bulkhead, way back in the tail. What’s the best way to get the tube back on the fitting?

It looks like you fly an RV-3. That is a bit narrower than a -4 but still doable. I was just in the back of my -4 stringing and securing wires. It's a tight PITA but as long as you aren't claustrophobic, you should be OK.

Take out the elevator torque tube. Get some moving pads, old quilts, foam blocks or anything that will spread your weight around. Put a pillow from the couch on the elevator bell crank so you don't bend it or poke yourself with it. Crawl back there (or send your 12 yo neighbor back there) and stick it back on. You might also see why it came off so it doesn't come off again.....

I had my helper go back and fix it......:D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_81111.jpg
    IMG_81111.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_81101.jpg
    IMG_81101.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 73
Back