What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Canopy D-seal

jsisk

My RV-14 has about about 55 hours now. I am having trouble keeping the factory supplied D-shaped gasket/seal for the forward canopy in place. It wants to protrude along the top intersection, become displaced and eventually come loose. I have removed it, cleaned the surfaces, and re-installed it with Permatex automotive RTV, but that did not hold.

The way the canopy hinges down seems to squeeze it out the front along the top. I am wondering if there is a better choice of gasket material? Is this D-molding too large for the gap?

Would be interested in hearing if others have experienced this and come up with a better gasket part, or other clever ideas.

You will need to adhere the seal about 1/8" ro 3/32" aft of the edge of the skin in the mid section. I had my first seal uniformly installed at the edge and experienced exactly the same. I removed it and add another one somewhat aft and it was much better but still would see a bit squeezed out. The third time was a charm and has not squeezed out at all.

You will need to adhere the seal about 1/8" ro 3/32" aft of the edge of the skin in the mid section. I had my first seal uniformly installed at the edge and experienced exactly the same. I removed it and add another one somewhat aft and it was much better

Same experience.

Front canopy seal

I have replaced my D seal. Yet again it did not remain stuck and bulged out as stated by others. I plan to use contact cement on the second seal and see if it holds! Wish Vans would recommend a glue for a more long lasting solution! The D seal will not remain stuck with the sticky system on the seal! So plan to remove the canopy regularly without a proper mastic solution to the problem! Not an easy task and should have three people to help in the process!:rolleyes:

Don’t know anything about the RV 14 D seal but I successfully glued non standard somewhat oversized 5/16 thick 11/32 wide D seal in my RV 9A tip up with tank sealant. On a test sample pulling on the D strip ripped it apart but the base remained glued. I thoroughly removed the adhesive backing first.
I also regularly apply clear silicone grease on the seal which helps the canopy lip slide over the seal without bulging.

Fin 9A

Last edited:
On my 9 tip up I followed advice of others on this forum and used pro seal to form a seal in place. I taped off the forward skin and I used plastic wrap on the canopy. I applied the pro seal and then closed the canopy and let it dry. It worked well but was a little messy on the inside of the avionics area where is squeezed out a little.

I was able to resolve the problem by moving the D-seal aft slightly as suggested by Bavafa. Thank you.

Back