What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forgot to dimple...

WayneJ

....the A-1005 Aileron Main Ribs

I just finished assembling the trailing edges of my ailerons with VHB double sided tape on the wedges and clecos in all holes while the tape cures per KAI section 5.8 instructions. I definitely don't want to take this apart now.

I was going to rivet the Main Ribs per page 22-09 step 2 (a little out of sequence) until I realized the blind rivets are CS4-4 flat head/countersunk not the LP4-3 I thought were used and I don't have dimples there.

Would it be acceptable to use dome head Cherry Max CR3213-4-2 in this location? Would the Cherry Max strength compensate for the lack of shear strength provided by dimples? I don't see any clearance issues with the dome heads.

Don't worry, the guy who built the wing kit that I acquired second-hand managed to rivet an entire wing together without dimpling any of the ribs. So I drilled out a bazillion rivets to remove all the skins, dimpled the ribs, and then reassembled.

I'm sure that doesn't make you feel much better though :(

Don't worry, the guy who built the wing kit that I acquired second-hand managed to rivet an entire wing together without dimpling any of the ribs. So I drilled out a bazillion rivets to remove all the skins, dimpled the ribs, and then reassembled.

I'm sure that doesn't make you feel much better though :(

Wow! Hopefully he paid you $5 to take it.

Back