What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter sourcing

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
Apparently the CH48110-1 Filter I need is unavailable anywhere until July or August. Does anybody know of a source with them in-stock, or another alternative that could be used? Looks like the Tempest AA48110-2 may be a replacement?

Chris

Apparently the CH48110-1 Filter I need is unavailable anywhere until July or August. Does anybody know of a source with them in-stock, or another alternative that could be used? Looks like the Tempest AA48110-2 may be a replacement?

Chris

Yes you can use the 110 Tempest as a direct replacement of the Champion. If you use the Tempest "Spin EZ" DO NOT lube the gasket!

-Marc

The 48110 is showing out of stock for months :(

Weird, shows in stock on the link. Even let me add it to the cart.

champion-aircraft-oil-filter.html

Weird, shows in stock on the link. Even let me add it to the cart.

champion-aircraft-oil-filter.html

That is weird. No dice for me:

I ended up finding the Tempest on Amazon, but for $50. Both Tempest and Champion 48110 models in particular seem to be hard to come by. If you need them may want to place an order now...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 12.52.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 12.52.07 PM.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Chris, were you able to find a filter? Tempest works fine IMHO.

-Marc

Thanks Marc, I ended up finding the Tempest on an Amazon store for delivery ext week, and about $12 more than other places. No dice anywhere else. I may place an order for a few more through spruce just so I have them in the future.

Chris

I ordered the champion 48109 from Aircraft Spruce last September after I used my last one. I received it 5 months later in mid February.
Tip: don’t order anything that is back ordered using PayPal. You are charged right away and not when it is shipped like if you use a credit card. Although there was a price increase over the 5 months that I avoided maybe due to the prepayment

Last edited:
CH-48110-1

Check with Brown Aircraft Supply. Just bot a couple of filters from them last week. Most places I checked were on back order.

Fleet Filter has a better price.....
gold.PNG

A few here on VAF have been using this filter for some time.
I plan to hydro test this to failure, and also with a jacket.

May be time for me to make the switch to a NAPA or K&N filter.....

Speaking from the motorcycle world experience of K&N, they do not enjoy a flattering reputation. Might be different in the airplane world, but most tracks don't allow K&N for their reputation.

I have a case with 6 (I think, I have to confirm when I go to my hangar) of tempest replacement for CH48110-1. I am due for my oil change and I am installing the challenger oil filter. I will be selling them.

Thanks to getting a little "click-happy" a while back, I ended up with a pile more -110 oil filters than I will be needing anytime soon. Anybody that want to trade for some 108's, let me know. I'll bring a half-dozen or so to Sun And Fun.

Oil filter

I ordered two Tempest 110s last night from Spruce, it said they would ship
April 9th, the scary thing about is it did not reference a year.
In fifty years I have never not been able to get suitable replacement parts until the greedy capitalist sold their manufacturing to foreign countries, so their bottom line was better, now we get to pay thru the roof for supplies.

Jim Skinner
RV 6A
RV 6 regrettably sold
UPF 7 regrettably sold
Exempt but it is a privilege to donate

I ordered two Tempest 110s last night from Spruce, it said they would ship
April 9th, the scary thing about is it did not reference a year.
In fifty years I have never not been able to get suitable replacement parts until the greedy capitalist sold their manufacturing to foreign countries, so their bottom line was better, now we get to pay thru the roof for supplies.

Jim Skinner
RV 6A
RV 6 regrettably sold
UPF 7 regrettably sold
Exempt but it is a privilege to donate

Ya I am sure hoping that Spruce doesn't do what I have seen in the past, just keep pushing the date back. I too am waiting on some.

I have been using the Napa filter for years now. I have cut open both and see no difference the metal case and the pleated filter.
IMG-0009.jpg

Well I needed 48103's (13/16" female thread) and the price was my tipping point. I caved and bought the Wix (NAPA GOLD) for $7.10 shipped to my house. With a 345 pound burst pressure and all the other details fitting my criteria.
I decided that after about 60 years of being around tons of motors and and never having seen a burst filter or one that ''unscrewed'' itself. I gave up on the ""Aviation"" filters.
If I want to safety wire it I have a bunch of hose clamps.
My three cents worth.
Art

OK, now I'm confused. Which is the NAPA cross reference part for a 48110? I bought a NAPA one a while ago and am now trying to figure out which of my airplanes it's supposed to fit. DOH!

EDIT: Dope slap time! I knew the answer before I asked the question but something prevented that part of my brain from functioning... at all! Just add the threaded nipple to convert the NAPA 1068 to the equivalent of a 48110. DOH and Double DOH!!!!

Last edited:
Oil filter source

So what are people really doing for oil filters right now?? It's time for my first oil change so I can keep flying and I need a Champion 48110-1. But of course they appear to be out of stock across the entire country. And the Tempest AA48110-2 filters don't appear to be available, either. Or have I just not stumbled across the right source yet? Are people really using automotive filters on their aircraft engines? If so, which one to replace a Champion 48110-1?

Thanks for any help sorting this out.

Depending on available space, you can consider using a longer filter, which may be available. Suggest calling champion or tempest about length/filter material, etc

I got a Napa Gold 1515 and a suitable sized hose clamp to safety it for $19 at my local Napa Store. It doesn't come with the threaded pipe, but I'm planning on removing the one from the existing Tempest filter and reusing it on the new filter.

Great info already posted

Check out the challenger reusable filter. Spruce has the aircraft version. Look at other posts for how to order the parts and make one to save $.

WIX and Napa numbers have been posted. Using a big clamp to safety wire seems to work.

Save your old filter to extract the threaded adapter using two 3/4” nuts as jamb nuts.

Enjoy the benefits of experimental!

I'll probably order one. But the expected delivery on the Challenger filter I'd need is still way out. I'd prefer not to let the plane sit until then. So I need to come up with something that is "in stock" somewhere.

Last edited:
S-4 vs S-15

The recent popularity of the reusable oil filter has brought two filters to the attention of those looking for the alternative.

There is a difference in price....
PC-Racing $139.95 S-4
ECS $159.00 S-15

There is a difference in volume by about 22%. Why, because the S-4 was designed for motorcycles, and the S-15 was designed for automotive use.

If you are content with the flow and filter capacity of the S-4, then you can save $20.00 Replacement screens are... FE4 =$104. FE15 +$109.

FE4.JPGFE15.JPG

oil filter woes

Or you can go to the parts store and buy these. put a hose clamp on and wire till your heart is content.
They have a higher burst, more filtration and work on my I0-360
I've driven more than a million miles and flown a bunch more and never had one come off.
My luck not yours Art

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 130
The reusable filters seem the way to go. And they've had good reviews on this site. But I know the delivery on those is way out, too.

I think I've located a spare Champion filter from someone kind enough to 'loan' it to me. Picking it up tomorrow. I'll order spares and hopefully by the time I need another one, I'll have received the order - and so I can replace the one I'm borrowing.

Thank you for the 'loaner'!!! (You know who you are......). So much appreciated.

Also, thanks for all the responses and ideas/input here on the forum. Always appreciated.

Chris

I just got email from Aircraft Spruce that my Tempest AA48110-2 oil filters that were ordered back in early July are now available to be picked up. Looking at their website they show that availability is still October, so maybe they are working through the backlog of orders.

I just got email from Aircraft Spruce that my Tempest AA48110-2 oil filters that were ordered back in early July are now available to be picked up. Looking at their website they show that availability is still October, so maybe they are working through the backlog of orders.

My order for tempest AA48109 has just shipped according to email from Aircraft Spruce plus I have a charge to my credit card. I ordered them on august 5 and told then that they would ship on Sept 12. Looks like they shipped several days earlier than promised.

Definitely good news ........ thanks for the updates. I've got Champions on order. Hopefully they're not far behind.

I ordered 2 Champion CH48110-1 filters in March and was notified this week that they had shipped. Should be here on Tuesday.

Or you can go to the parts store and buy these. put a hose clamp on and wire till your heart is content.
They have a higher burst, more filtration and work on my I0-360
I've driven more than a million miles and flown a bunch more and never had one come off.
My luck not yours Art

Note Wix 51258 uses a 13/16 nipple, not 3/4.

Back