What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I use a 14 tail kit on a 14A?

EricAZ

I'm New Here
Patron
I have a deposit on a 14A tail kit and found an 80% complete 14 tail kit for sale in my local EAA chapter. Does any know if there any reasons why I cannot use the 14 tail on a 14A? Some of the structure for the tail wheel is already in place. I figure a call to Vans with the kit number is appropriate but wanted to ask here first.

The down side is an extra pound or so in the rear. The up side would be that you get an extra strong tie down bracket!

I have a deposit on a 14A tail kit and found an 80% complete 14 tail kit for sale in my local EAA chapter. Does any know if there any reasons why I cannot use the 14 tail on a 14A? Some of the structure for the tail wheel is already in place. I figure a call to Vans with the kit number is appropriate but wanted to ask here first.

What did Van's say?

My recollection from building the 14A is that there are several structural differences between the assemble tail kits. Van's should be able to identify those for you quickly.

If not, we can identify the page numbers in the plans that show the differences we find.

One example is on page 10-05, which shows the -14A aft tie down for the tri-gear being completely different. Page 10-16 shows that the aft skin has a section removed for the tail dragger (not removed for the -14A tri-gear). So the answer will depend on how much of the kit is done and how much you want to backtrack.

Last edited:
I sent Van's an email and they responded within a couple hours. This was my first question to support so I was pleasantly surprised with the quick response. They told me that the tail kits are "essentially interchangeable" and suggested building the tail as-is and provided a document that describes fabricating a tie down that replaces the tail wheel spring.

Good deal for you! Build on!

I sent Van's an email and they responded within a couple hours. This was my first question to support so I was pleasantly surprised with the quick response. They told me that the tail kits are "essentially interchangeable" and suggested building the tail as-is and provided a document that describes fabricating a tie down that replaces the tail wheel spring.

That's interesting. Van's came through yet again.

Back