What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked A steps

skiandtom

Several of us A type owners ( I have an RV-7A) have had to replace or repair a cracked step. I have had the experience and I think I have figured out the easiest way to remove and replace the step. You don’t have to drill off any panels. Get out your plans and determine where the inner block is under the baggage floor and cut an oval shaped hole over it and remove the bolt. Next drill out the rivets holding the step out and pull the step straight out. You can remove the screwed on panel over the flap pushrod so you can vacuum out the River pieces. Repair or replace the step. It is easier to repair and reuse your old step of it can be repaired. Match drilling a new one would be challenging. If the crack does not extend around to the front side of the step, it should be possible to repair it. Van’s sells the repair gusset. I sent mine to the guy who builds the steps for Van. I wish I could remember his name. Quick turnaround. Anyway, pop rivet the new or repaired step in and make an oval shaped hole cover and pop it in over the hole in the floor.

Attachments

• F4FCB1F3-F98F-4742-8F7F-5266AD830134.jpg
    F4FCB1F3-F98F-4742-8F7F-5266AD830134.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 7F2E6E53-10DE-47AA-826D-5E2FC6962F86.jpg
    7F2E6E53-10DE-47AA-826D-5E2FC6962F86.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 368
I'm building an RV-9 and plan to install steps. Are cracked steps a given? Is there some modification I can do to a new step to forestall cracking?

Steps

I'm building an RV-9 and plan to install steps. Are cracked steps a given? Is there some modification I can do to a new step to forestall cracking?

The design of the steps has been revised to include a gusset because the original steps are prone to cracking.
If your steps don't already have the gusset then it is well worth getting them welded during the build. The parts are available from Vans:
https://store.vansaircraft.com/wd-657z-step-reinforcement-gusset-rv-6-6a-7-7a-9-9a-wd-657z.html

Attached pic shows gussets that have been welded on.

Attachments

• 20211203_122046.jpg
    20211203_122046.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Cracks

Vibrations cause the metal to become brittle. Stop the vibrations and you stop the cracking.

and the big mystery is:
Why is it always the passenger step that cracks? (first anyway)

I would guess the same reason Cessna cowl flaps wear the right side more.. perhaps the prop spiraling slip stream? Or maybe the pilots step more gently than the passengers who might not..

Thanks, Paul, for the update. My fuselage is scheduled for crating late September so now I know what to look for. Fingers crossed the gusset will be included.

The design of the steps has been revised to include a gusset because the original steps are prone to cracking.
If your steps don't already have the gusset then it is well worth getting them welded during the build. The parts are available from Vans:
https://store.vansaircraft.com/wd-657z-step-reinforcement-gusset-rv-6-6a-7-7a-9-9a-wd-657z.html

Attached pic shows gussets that have been welded on.

WD-657-R & L gussets have been installed since 2016

From post #30 in https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=134249 Russ has been supplying WD-657-R & L with gussets welded in place since March of 2016.

The step Russ repaired for me, featured in the first post above has been in service for at least 1000 hours without further cracking. Not exactly the same design that became standard.

Regards,

and the big mystery is:
Why is it always the passenger step that cracks? (first anyway)

AntiSplatAero instrumented his steps and found prop wash vibration much higher on passenger side (search for a long thread on the subject pre2010 thru 2013). His solution was to fill the step 2/3 with sand (think dead low hammer). After the sand was added, vibrations were dramatically reduced. I checked in with him recently (9 years later) and he says this seems to have made the problem go away for him and several others he did the mod for. This was before Vans started added the extra gusset.

It cracks first because most passengers don’t know how to exit an airplane correctly, back down don’t drop in like a cirrus chute facing forward.

Pop rivets?

Getting ready to make this repair myself on my RV7A (also right side). Your suggestion on how to do this repair without taking up the floor sounds great! Curious how your pop rivets are holding up?

Step cracks

It’s not true that passengers are at fault. Years ago, Alan Nemo put some transducers on the steps of his 9A. The vibrations on the passenger step water much higher than the other side. He said the vibrations were caused by prop wash. He drilled a small hole and added sand. That stopped the problem. You can also change the vibration frequency by adding some #9 lead shot.

8A step replacement

I assume Vans sells a replacement step for the 8A, but I cannot find it at their store. Anyone have a part number or a hint on how to find? Or is there another source, perhaps for a chromed one? Thanks for considering.

Back