What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gas Smell

MED

Well Known Member
When I switched tanks during my last flight, I turned on the fuel pump, as I always do, but forgot to turn it back off for a few minutes. I discovered it when I smelled gas, which was a first for me. I just removed the tunnel covers on both sides of the aux. pump and inspected the fuel lines all the way to the firewall with no evidence of fuel - enough dust to be sure. :rolleyes: Any hints what might have caused the smell? :confused:

In my case, the fuel smell is usually associated with fuel coming from the vents during acro or after sloshing around with a nearly full tank.. It's fairly short duration, about a minute. Any longer might be cause for concern

Given the story of when this happened, probably not an issue but it's a good idea to look underneath for any fuel stains, especially at wing roots. Could be a leak where fuel lines enter fuselage, or the two connections between tank and fuselage.

Given the story of when this happened, probably not an issue but it's a good idea to look underneath for any fuel stains, especially at wing roots. Could be a leak where fuel lines enter fuselage, or the two connections between tank and fuselage.

I crawled all over under the plane and didn’t see any staining. I figured it must be related to the aux. pump, since I only smelled it when I forgot the pump on and only while it was on. I’m going to check the fuel lines on the engine side of the firewall, but didn’t think I would smell anything from there at 170 kts.

I crawled all over under the plane and didn’t see any staining. I figured it must be related to the aux. pump, since I only smelled it when I forgot the pump on and only while it was on. I’m going to check the fuel lines on the engine side of the firewall, but didn’t think I would smell anything from there at 170 kts.

Fuel goes overboard via the sniffle valve when that happens (ask me how I know) - explains the smell.

Fuel goes overboard via the sniffle valve when that happens (ask me how I know) - explains the smell.

Interesting. I flew today and, as normal, did not smell anything unusual. I did not know excess fuel (?) would dump out the sniffle valve with the engine running. How did you learn this . . . inquiring minds want to know . . . :confused:

Back