What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump replacement

kjelle69

I have an old style pump in my Lycoming 360 A1D. (Laminated arm)
It has never been changed since new 1978 so I thought I would get a new one since I am also restoring the engine.

What pump is suitable to replace this one with?

(As you can see this pumps vent part is modified by turning the whole section 120-(or so)-degrees)

Attachments

• 20210211_214436.jpg
    20210211_214436.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210211_214449.jpg
    20210211_214449.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 104
Great to hear, so there is no issues on the "Engine side" when it comes to the fittings and the actuator/arm.

The quote from Aircraft Spruce "some pre-1978 model aircraft require expensive and time consuming modifications to carburetors or accessory housings" made me very uncertain but this probably relates to the fittings and eventual cooling shrouds etc in the plane.

Planecrazy232, Do you remember if the fittings are the same on the old vs the new style? NPT 1/8 and 1/4 threaded?

I have a O360-A1D and replaced the pump with a Tempest AF15472 a few years and 300 hours ago. Working fine.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/05-02555.php

The fittings from the old pump will not work with the new one without adapters . The new pump uses o-ring bulkhead type fittings. So you will need to procure that style or get an adapter that uses an o-ring on the pump side and has NPT on the other. The pump housings, although they look the same have slight dimensional differences. If your old pump had a cooling shroud then you will have to modify it slightly to make it work with the new pump. Also if you old pump used rigid lines from the pump to the carb you will likely have to replace that line with a flex line as the fitting locations between the two pumps is slightly different. As far as the engine internals go there is no problem and the new one will bolt right up and use the same mounting bolts.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back