What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sect 17 Leading Edges when to dimple ribs?

gotyoke

Well Known Member
RV-14 Plans, section 17-03 step 3 says "Dimple all the #40 holes in the flanges of all the W-1008-L & -R Splice Ribs and W-1009-L & -R Leading Edge Ribs." Normally I choose to dimple after I prime, so I read ahead to see why it might make sense to dimple earlier.

You assemble the leading edges with the ribs dimpled but the skins not dimpled (weird). Then you match-drill new holes in the ribs, then disassemble.

Then in section 17-04 step 7: "Deburr then dimple the #40 holes in the W-00008-L & -R Leading Edge J-Stiffeners and W-1009-1, W-1009-2, and W-1009-L & -R Leading Edge Ribs."

It's confusing to have the plans repeat that you need to dimple those ribs again. Though I suppose it makes some sense because now you need to dimple those holes you match-drilled. But frankly, I'm not convinced dimpling on 17-03 step 3 is needed.

At this point, I'm inclined to move forward with my original plan: wait to dimple until after initial assembly and match-drilling. Does anyone see/know-of a problem with that?

Back