What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 fuselage QB canoe size / seeking NYC brownstone basement build advice

bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi guys, this is my first post. I know this might sound crazy, but I am planning for an RV-8 build in the basement of my NYC brownstone. The good news is that I have plenty of existing shop space in my basement, my wife's support, and a good amount of time I can dedicate to the project. The bad news is that getting large objects in and out of my basement is not going to be easy.

If I leave the wings unattached from the fuselage and the vertical stabilizer unattached from the horizontal stabilizer then I should be able to get those parts out of the house through the internal stairs when completed. The fuselage is the only problem I see.

The basement is fully underground. In terms of external basement access, I have a former coal chute that goes from the "front yard" down into the basement. It is roughly 3' (width of opening into foundation) x 4.5' (depth into yard) x 82" (ceiling height). I think I could increase the depth into my front yard without great expense and building department interference if necessary. But I really don't want to have to mess with that until I am ready to move the plane parts to the airport for final assembly.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I can wedge the QB fuselage down the coal chute into the basement so I can do as much work as possible before it has to be removed to a hanger. If I can't then I was thinking I could get the standard build kit and then remove the fuselage without landing gear from the enlarged chute when finished (I assume that kit doesn't come with any pieces that are very large in three dimensions, right?).

With that background in mind, does anyone know the dimensions of the QB fuselage canoe as it arrives in the crate? I am also interested in hearing your thoughts on what I should be thinking about given my space constraints. I'm really hoping I can pull this off.

Somebody asked a similar question a couple of years ago and I had my fuse in the garage.

It’s 45 1/5 inches tall at the canopy bow And just over 36 inches wide at the firewall. 15’2” long.

I’m a big believer in doing as much at home as you can. A hanger is horrible work environment. Look through a few builders logs to see what you can do in the space you have and the time required to complete. The 300 pound gorilla is what you do with the engine and The firewall forward stuff. There are countless hours of baffling, cowl work and plumbing that take hours and days and weeks of head scratching and procurement. I think I would be inclined to put it on the fuse and finish most of the FWF stuff and then take it apart to get it out if you have to.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Mikeyb. I think I'm going to go with the standard build fuselage kit so I can avoid having to create a larger access to my basement at this time. That will give me plenty of time to address the issue before I have to get the completed project out of my basement.

I just sent in the empennage order to Vans today. I'm excited to get started!

Back