What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bigger Tires?

Larger tires?

• Yes, I would install larger tires on a new build

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Yes, I would upgrade a flying aircraft

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Maybe, just not sure I need larger tires

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • No, I don't see the need

Votes: 14 32.6%

• Total voters

N941WR

Legacy Member
For those with a -3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, and 14, would you be interested in wheels that could fit a 6x600 tire?

For those of us who operate off of grass, I feel it would be nice to use a larger tire that fits under the stock wheel pants.

I recently spoke with a company that might be able to provide wheels that fit the standard Van's axels but mount a slightly larger but standard aviation tire.

The purpose of this thread is to judge the interest from this crowd.

For those with a -3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, and 14, would you be interested in wheels that could fit a 6x600 tire?

For those of us who operate off of grass, I feel it would be nice to use a larger tire that fits under the stock wheel pants.

I recently spoke with a company that might be able to provide wheels that fit the standard Van's axels but mount a slightly larger but standard aviation tire. The purpose of this thread is to judge the interest from this crowd.
I think that is great. I thought about this as well.... interested. I don't think this is a hard thing to do. There are several threads on this and wheels that will convert. The down side is more drag of course.

The down side is more drag of course.

I don't think it will be as large a drag penalty as most people think. The reason is that we only give up five knots when we fly without wheel pants. So, if the tires stick out a little more, there may be very little change in cruise speed.

6.00-6

Hello Bill,
I tried to send you an email with information on larger tires and rims. I’m uncertain if it went through. If not, let me know.

I have about 1000 landings on 6.00-6 mains and and 8” tailwheel with very little issue. I cannot say that they did or did not cost speed because I’ve never installed the standard tires and reports on VAF show airplanes that are both faster and slower. My educated guess is the speed penalty is very small and I don’t get concerned about landing on grass.
Marvin

Last edited:
It's not only the cost of the tires and wheels, but also needed is new discs, calipers and maybe new masters.... $$$

Once you've put all that extra inertia on the end of the round gear legs, they'll be more likely to shimmy.

Dave

Hello Bill,
I tried to send you an email with information on larger tires and rims. I?m uncertain if it went through. If not, let me know.

I have about 1000 landings on 6.00-6 mains and and 8? tailwheel with very little issue. I cannot say that they did or did not cost speed because I?ve never installed the standard tires and reports on VAF show airplanes that are both faster and slower. My educated guess is the speed penalty is very small and I don?t get concerned about landing on grass.
Marvin

Thanks!

I received your email.

Can you comment on the concerns above?

Thanks!

Have you considered 380-150-5 tires? I find they are a nice in-between. Noticeably better on grass and dirt than a 500-5, but still fits the same hub, brake, and wheel pant installation.

Thanks!

I received your email.

Can you comment on the concerns above?

Thanks!

Hello Bill,
Because Vans is good about crediting new parts back or leaving them out of the order, my cost to convert to 6” wheels and wheel pants was small. Obviously, a retrofit to a flying airplane will have more cost. As far as the odds of increased shimmy due to more inertia, that may be true. I’ve never had a shimmy on my setup.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1218873&postcount=29

Last edited:
Have you considered 380-150-5 tires? I find they are a nice in-between. Noticeably better on grass and dirt than a 500-5, but still fits the same hub, brake, and wheel pant installation.

I made the switch to 380-150-5 tyres several years back. Like others, I made the choice because they fit stock wheels.

If you are ?building new? then there are more options. If you are retrofitting a flying airplane, the 380?s are a strong option.

Bigger Tires

I just put those 3.80x150x5 tires on my -3 (as I have done in the past on my -4 and -8). These tires have always made a noticeable improvement over ground handling and are definitely better for landing on any unpaved strip...
Thanks again Smokey for this recommendation years ago !!

Bill, as you know I have slightly non-stock axles (1" longer than normal) and wheels on my 9. Using Matco wheels, I run 400-6 tires with wheel pants and they fit fine. Perfect for normal asphalt ops as they are essentially the same diameter as the standard wheel/tire setup. For northern ops, I leave off the wheel pants and run 800-6 tires. Approx. a 5-7 mph speed penalty. I have a slight shimmy at certain ground speeds that is similar with both setups. I just avoid those speeds as much as possible.

I find the 380X150 tires to be a nice compromise on my -7 especially on unimproved surfaces. Combined with the Flyboys Rocket Link and Condor 2 pneumatic tailwheel the ground handling is superb. I have tried several different combinations on my -6 & -7, and this setup is working great for me.

Larger tires

I am currently running 850-6 tires they are 21.5 inches tall
No problem with shimmy, Matco wheels and brakes,
160 hp RV-6 155 kts true.

Back