What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Question, Panel & Battery

mmcdonald

Any recommendations for a simple VFR panel?
I have altimeter, airspeed and mag compass. Would like to have moving map gps, radio and transponder

What battery would you recommend? Plans show battery behind seat.

Mark,
If you ever plan to have ADSB, do it now. If you have the money for new, Dynon Skyview will take care of all your requirements, plus engine instruments, radio, transponder, ADSB receiver, etc. Ditch to round gauges.

An iPad or other tablet, even used ones, will give you a decent moving map. Plenty of companies make radios and transponders, and I recommend getting a Mode S transponder one for future ADS-B connection. However, some ADS-B systems will operate with merely a Mode A/C transponder.

The ADS-B requirements are worth understanding, and some components like transponders or GPS work with only some of the other brands; the same holds for ADS-B receivers that display on a tablet. Some of the moving map apps only work with some of the receivers.

Another question is what to do about engine instruments. My preference is an electronic all-in-one system. These are usually called EMS for Engine Monitoring Systems and a variety of makes and models are available as stand-alone devices. In addition, most EFIS or Electronic Flight Information Systems can display all the engine data and do an adequate job of it. They almost all use an extra module of some sort to do that, so be sure to get that too if you go this route.

EFIS will provide far more than VFR data and in my own opinion are primarily desirable for IFR or with an autopilot.

Some EFIS will control or include a radio and/or a transponder. They will function as the control head. Since some radios and transponders allow (or even require) that, this compatibility could affect your choice of radio or transponder.

The choice of battery will be determined first by whether you have a starter or not, and if so, there are numerous options. Many of these options are lighter than what was available when the RV-3 was designed, and some come with safety issues. Be certain that you understand those if you choose them. If you're not going to have a starter, then the battery will be at least partly determined by the current draw from the radio and transponder.

The larger EFIS systems barely fit an RV-3. In any event, I recommend printing full-size photos of the various components that will go on the panel and fitting them to the panel before purchasing. Some builders have made the panel slightly higher for additional space (by keeping the upper contour but letting the bottom move downward) and others have added center stacks between your feet for more equipment. These usually connect to the F-312 assemblies. Builders have also installed small equipment on the right side panel.

1. Determine what requirements you have.

2. Decide upon an architecture.

3. Assess compatibility between systems and devices.

4. Narrow down the many choices by seeing what will fit and what meets your requirements.

5. Study the installation and operators manuals (most are available on line) and use this to further narrow the selection.

6. Iterate as needed.

Good luck!
Dave

Mark, what stage is your build in---------this will greatly influence the recommendations folks can give you.

Hi Mark

As well as Mike's point, your attitude to cost / weight / simple v complex etc. is important.

Our priority was weight, and for "moving map GPS" have a Samsung Note 3 Neo "Phablet" (overgrown phone / mini tablet) with UK specific software, with a charging lead from aircraft electrics.

Battery is down to cost v weight v risk. You could try a 14AH Shorai 1.5lb LiFePO battery, or a 22lb Concorde certified aircraft battery.

We have a Dynon D-180 for EFIS & EMS. You could go lighter with an MGL mini. but the D-180 we have had in the RV-8 and for us = max functionality with no "frills".

Radio: Weight gone for Dittel KRT2

RV3Panel.jpg

NB the 2.25" Altimeter is pretty useless, but we have to have an analogue one over here :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of good links to comparison tables for radios and transponders. They are oriented towards sailplanes and they might be slightly out of date, but still valuable.

Radios

and

Transponders

Dave

RV-3 Build Status

Tail finished, wings are 85% (need to install fiberglass tips),
Currently riveting bottom skins on fuselage. Thanks for all the
information and help, looking to keep my RV-3 build simple.

Last edited:
Electronic EFIS systems are better than round dials from a weight perspective, especially if you want anything that requires a gyro. Plus you only need to cut 1 hole in the panel face.

For small/simple/light/economical VFR EFIS, I still think GRT has a great system with the Mini or the Sport SX. Same with their ugly old-reliable EIS engine monitor. But... DON'T BUY ANYTHING til you're ready to wire! You never know what will come out between now and the time you are ready for it.

Katie, agree that even in simple VFR panel EFIS is the way to go. While driving home this week I had the opportunity to visit with a very nice retired airline pilot who owns 2 RV's based at a grass strip. His RV-4 with MGL EFIS, and an IPAD with AHRS wifi connected seemed very capable yet simple to install. Used MGL/Becker for radio and transponder.

Will certainly take a look at GRT avionics when ready to purchase for panel.

Thanks for advice.

Back