What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Rental Car -- hold on to your wallet

chrispratt

Well Known Member
I've been renting a car in Oshkosh for the past 8 years usually from Hertz. In 2012 my charge for a full size car for a week was $320. In 2013 it was $506 (using my Hertz #1 Club Gold card). I called Hertz today and was quoted $1,350. Huh? No discounts, no Hertz#1 accepted. Nothing. And it's not like you're getting good service to begin with; after all they don't even like to be open on the weekend.

Anybody have an alternative source or a different (less expensive) experience? I stay at a B&B in town so need some wheels to get back and forth, but between $5/gal gas, the car and the room, Osh is looking less and less attractive. And no, I don't camp :)

Chris

I recommend the dorms. We camped until one year, two nights in a row I was awakened by wicked thunder and lightning. Not for me!! We enjoy the dorms and the cafeteria is very good. Shuttle runs you back and forth. U of Wisconsin is only two miles away.

Last edited:
If you fly into OSH and stay at the dorms, you can buy a week-long bus pass which is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get around.

If you fly into one of the major airports (like I did last time), forget the $100/day car rental. I reserved a U-Haul pickup truck for the week. It cost me $19.95/day plus mileage. The whole week was only about $225 including the gas from Milwaukee to Oshkosh and back.

Check Craigs List

Check Craigs List for the area. I'm sure you can rent a car from a private party for a few C notes. Cash speaks!!!

The cat's out of the bag!

I reserved a U-Haul pickup truck for the week. It cost me $19.95/day plus mileage. The whole week was only about $225 including the gas from Milwaukee to Oshkosh and back.

Man, Craig, now the Milwaukee U-Haul place is gonna run out of pickup trucks that week! :rolleyes:

I've been renting a car in Oshkosh for the past 8 years usually from Hertz. In 2012 my charge for a full size car for a week was $320. In 2013 it was $506 (using my Hertz #1 Club Gold card). I called Hertz today and was quoted $1,350. Huh? No discounts, no Hertz#1 accepted. Nothing. And it's not like you're getting good service to begin with; after all they don't even like to be open on the weekend.

Anybody have an alternative source or a different (less expensive) experience? I stay at a B&B in town so need some wheels to get back and forth, but between $5/gal gas, the car and the room, Osh is looking less and less attractive. And no, I don't camp :)

Chris

Rentalcars.com beats anything I've seen.

Jerre

Dang Craig! You were right!

I just reserved a U Haul pickup In OSH for the whole week for $139 plus .69 per mile. And that's with collision damage waiver!
Works for me.

The U-haul truck rental is hilarious. When they run out of pick-ups we will see small box trucks all over the campground with generators, cots and 42" tv's in the back.:)

Several years we have flown in to Minneapolis, visited with my family, rented a car from the FBO for $200 for the week - then one of us takes the airplane to OSH, and the other drives - reversing it on the way back (to be fair). Once you get out of the show radius, cars are much cheaper - of course, this only works if you have two pilots.

You might check into a house rental WITH car - we do that with the Kitplanes staff house now - get a car with it for free.

Chris

Just curious -- what do you need a car for in Oshkosh?

I've had access to one the last several years, and never used it. Everything I want to see is on Wittman Field.

Hotwire

hotwire.com shows a compact for $430 for the week; out of Oshkosh ;show dates. Fullsize is $507 all in

Last edited:
just stick out your thumb or have a small sign that says OSH INBOUND. when i go to block island a thumb get me any where in a few cars. be brave. get out of your comfort zone. save a grand. :)
IMG_0862.jpg

camping

What a great idea camp in a U-Haul box truck up high off the ground no worry about rain go Lowes after picking up truck to get grill and ice chest $100 dollar A/C sleep like a baby unplug and go to town for diner.just like motel room for $39 a night put up a tarp on one side with one of those hang up bag showers and no hike to shower.
Bob

Right there with you Chris. Give Enterprise a call - directly to the Oshkosh office. I've already reserved a car with them. A full-size sedan (more the cousin's preference than mine) for ~$600. I'm still working on better pricing with them, as they didn't seem to understand the AOPA member discount. If you go through the AOPA GA partner link, it's quoted ~$350.

While their normal hours say otherwise (and this is why you have to reserve directly with them rather than through the web or their normal reservations call center), I've already confirmed with them that they are going to be open into the afternoons on both Saturday and Sunday of the starting and ending weekends of the show. They have no problem dropping off the car at either FBO (or either location of Basler now, I guess), and will take you back to the field when you drop off the car at their office at the end.

If you're fat like me, 2 miles will kill you in the summer humidity! :)

If you're fat like me, it's all the more reason to be walking. :D In my experience, driving does nothing for weight loss or cardiovascular health. Well, nothing positive anyway.

These problems are easily solved, at least they have never been a problem for me. My reason for not going is the ripoff price for a handicap scooter! I have to have one to get around, and at $65 a day for a junker, rubs me the wrong way.
I have taken this up with EAA headquarters, they are not in the least sympathetic to old combat disabled soldiers, they get big bucks from "selling" the rental company exclusive rights to gouge customers, and freely state they would rather keep the profits from the concession than make my travel affordable.
I maintain that if properly presented to the vendors, they might well prefer to contribute to provide free rental scooters to the old farts who happen to come there to spend lots of dollars!

DO NOT rent from the airport.

Search for car rental offices around the Milwaukee area, they can still be the corporate rental places. It will take a little research, and you'll have to take a cab from the airport, but you will save a ton.

Ouch!

I've been renting a car in Oshkosh for the past 8 years usually from Hertz. In 2012 my charge for a full size car for a week was $320. In 2013 it was $506 (using my Hertz #1 Club Gold card). I called Hertz today and was quoted $1,350. Huh? No discounts, no Hertz#1 accepted...Chris

Hey Chris....What do you expect with a name like "Hertz".... As in ouch!!! :eek:

Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions. I do like to get offsite during the week sometimes for some different food, make my own way to the seaplane base, take a trip to Green Bay to see the hallowed ground of the Packers, etc. I've tried several of the suggestions in the past with varying results. Every year is a bit different. I have my homework to do but appreciate all the suggestions.

See you there.

Chris

This may sound lunatic fringe, but both times I've been to Oshkosh I've brought a bicycle. In my case, a single speed, since it's simple, light and OSH isn't particularly hilly. I got to anyplace I wanted to go, which was pretty much all over town, with the bike. I had lights on it for night time travel. I stayed in the dorms with a friend both times. We could easily beat the bus to the main gate. And since we were tipping a few with dinner, no worries about a DUI :cool:

Bring your own scooter?

Don,
Can you bring your own scooter? I know there are other scooter rental companies there from when I was lining up one for Alex, the young man we brought the OSH a couple years ago. They would deliver one to the gate if we needed it. In the end, the on-site vendor donated the scooter and was very accommodating. $69 a day sure sounds high though.

These problems are easily solved, at least they have never been a problem for me. My reason for not going is the ripoff price for a handicap scooter! I have to have one to get around, and at $65 a day for a junker, rubs me the wrong way.
I have taken this up with EAA headquarters, they are not in the least sympathetic to old combat disabled soldiers, they get big bucks from "selling" the rental company exclusive rights to gouge customers, and freely state they would rather keep the profits from the concession than make my travel affordable.
I maintain that if properly presented to the vendors, they might well prefer to contribute to provide free rental scooters to the old farts who happen to come there to spend lots of dollars!

You sure can bring your own. My last trip was by my car with the scooter in the trunk. Problem is the long drive from where I live to Oshkosh was just too much. I could fly free in friends planes, but no room for the scooter. I have not investigated renting locally with gate pickup, might be a good solution.
Don,
Can you bring your own scooter? I know there are other scooter rental companies there from when I was lining up one for Alex, the young man we brought the OSH a couple years ago. They would deliver one to the gate if we needed it. In the end, the on-site vendor donated the scooter and was very accommodating. $69 a day sure sounds high though.

The first time I flew in I camped between Dayton Murdock and Jay Pratt. Dayton and I walked off site to Good Will and bought $40 bicycles which we donated back at the end of the week for $100.

Back