What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elko BC Day trip

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
This past weekend we skipped out of town for the day as a cold front hit with rain and 30plus knot winds out of the north. The forcast looked great at our destination of Elko BC and we crossed our fingers the forecast was right for our return that afternoon. The plane was packed with food and blankets and off we went.

The strong 90 degree cross wind take off had the adventure start as soon as power was applied:D

I did not think we could make a direct route for the 40 minute flight but the ceiling kept rising as we approached the rocks so we only made scenery deviations. The winds also kept lightening up which allowed for a descent ride. We landed in Elko and had a great picnic as well as some hiking.

We departed mid afternoon for the bumpy ride back over the rock pile to land in lighter winds and sunny weather at home. Below is a wonderful blog that my wife did of that short but worth while trip. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/elko-bc-a-fly-in-picnic.html?utm_content=buffer41a7f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Great blog

Thanks for sharing Troy. Gavin and Emma are growing fast....since I seen them on last youtube video with Gavin PIC flying towards smoke stack.

Hope to visit our folks in Lethbridge over next few weeks...might try look you up if your are free.

Thanks for sharing Troy. Gavin and Emma are growing fast....since I seen them on last youtube video with Gavin PIC flying towards smoke stack.

Hope to visit our folks in Lethbridge over next few weeks...might try look you up if your are free.

Don't be shy to do so.

Kids are growing to fast!

Elko

hi Troy, you are right in my backyard! good to hear the ol' RV10 was fine at the Elko strip. i wondered how the worsening lumps in the field would look to an RV. you probably found the good spots in the runway.
i fly there quite often, have BBQ with family but not in an RV yet. still building although it won't fit the family now!
would love to meet you there next time you plan a trip.:) i can let you know about koocanusa as well.
cheers

Last edited:
We take the Ten in most any half reasonable grass strip. Elko was fine for the Ten. The grass was a bit to long though as we had a green tipped prop when we got home. We will let you know the next time out. We will camp the night on that run.

Troy,
Love the write up. Great blog. I sent the link to my wife to read! It's great to read these stories while your building. Sometimes it feels like you're never gonna finish, then you read something like this and you get inspired again. Thanks!

Great Trip!!

Looks like a great trip!! Glad to see you are filling the seats and doing the family trips- awesome! Be great to see your Super stol project as well

Back