What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop- balance or no?

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought a used Catto prop for my RV-6A which has an O-360 with dual EFII system..
I am pleased with it all and the prop feels really smooth. Fixed pitch of course-
a 3 blade composite. I have 60 hours and the engine rebuild is broken in.

I get 2300 rolling down the runway increasing of course to 2700 plus if I let it as I reach higher altitudes.

Same here with my Catto. Very happy with how smooth it is but I still plan to balance it in the near future. Good can always get better.

What is your actual question? The prop is balance before they sent it out.

Are you asking about dynamically balancing all the rotating components to include the prop?

I bought a used Catto prop for my RV-6A which has an O-360 with dual EFII system..
I am pleased with it all and the prop feels really smooth. Fixed pitch of course-
a 3 blade composite. I have 60 hours and the engine rebuild is broken in.

I get 2300 rolling down the runway increasing of course to 2700 plus if I let it as I reach higher altitudes.

I have the same setup on my 6A. I get 2170 on take-off roll. I'll just make 2700 flat out. What's your cruise speed? I'm getting 155KTAS @ 2400rpm.

Catto prop balance?

Axel,
Yes, I do mean a dynamic balance.
Ray,
Through a lot of circumstances, I do not have yet answers to cruise speed and rpm. I hope to get the needed items taken care of in a few weeks and then I will share answers.

Ron Burnett

Yes, you can/should dynamically balance your prop. I did my 3 blade catto about a month ago and reduced vibration from .17 IPS to .02 IPS in less than an hour.

Derek is probably right about doing the test. In my case we did not need to add any weights, as the results were very good as is. Each installation is slightly different. Catto has a very solid reputation, for good reason.

I've done hundreds of prop balances, I would guess that easily 90% benefit significantly from a dynamic balance. Doesn't matter if its Catto, wood, composite CS or fixed, they all shake.

Yes, balance it

Agree with Walt. The prop is statically balanced. Dynamically balancing it when mated to the engine gives a much smoother feel to it. I have balanced the Cattos down to .02 IPS (sometimes lower, but hard to reproduce).

Vic

Absolutely...

Ron,
I installed Craig's first RV 2-blade on my RV4 25 years ago. A friend encouraged me to have it dynamically balanced, the results being very noticeable.
Nine fixed pitch props on my airplanes later, I balanced each and every one, with equal results.

Just do it, you won't regret it...
V/R
Smokey

I was getting comments on how smooth the plane was before balancing my three blade Catto. Afterwards it was a noticeable improvement.

Hey Mark -Who did your balance?

Hi Mark,
Long time no see. Who did you use for balance service? After adding nickel leading edges, my 3 blade Catto isn't quite as smooth as it once was.

Need to find an RV savvy type and get the smooth ride back.

Thanks

Local balance

Hey Carl,
How you been?
My hanger mate was/is a A&P and IA but he closed up the business and is now a regional pilot. He has some off time so I will check to see if he is interested. I am sure he still has his equipment. Yes he is RV savvy as he built and flies a RV-7. I'll let you know.

Catto-balance or no?

Just had my 3 blade Catto prop balanced today so I will share results.
It cost $150 to set up and do dynamic balance check and he said it was okay but could be better. Was .19 but it went to .06 and I could feel the difference flying home by touching the fuel valve handle. Well worth the extra $100. He added an AN bolt on the flywheel. My very smooth prop is even smoother.

Back